Give Trump a chance

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Some of these posts aged quite well, lol

Any day now, right @compuwiz1 ?

Bolded for lulz - that's basically been Trump's entire presidency - doing things that are broadly unpopular.
It was interesting how much people were able to convince themselves that even though Trump was obviously mentally unstable and wildly corrupt that Republicans had enough interest in the country’s welfare to stop him from being too bad.

Wow did that turn out to be wrong.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It was interesting how much people were able to convince themselves that even though Trump was obviously mentally unstable and wildly corrupt that Republicans had enough interest in the country’s welfare to stop him from being too bad.

They seemed to ignore a fundamental problem with the Republican party: it really is interested almost exclusively in power politics (that is, making decisions purely based on obtaining and maintaining power, not for the benefit of the public).

And you didn't have to wait until 2020 to figure that out. Mitch McConnell admitted as much several years ago when he declared that the policy was just to oppose whatever Obama wanted. And do people really think that a party that depends on gerrymandering and other disenfranchisement efforts to win would be so upstanding as to keep someone like Trump in check?

The only way Republicans will ever keep a future Trump-alike in check is if they receive a defeat so definitive and lasting that they're forced to rethink their values if they want to stand a chance of reelection. And that likely means giving the boot to McConnell and others who make even dodgier Democrats look like bastions of integrity.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Who could have possibly predicted that electing a President who thinks that citizens' and public officials' loyalties should be to him rather than the Constitution would be a bad idea?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

It's cool, bro. They're ready and willing to climb back up on the big Trump log to ride again.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Then : When I get elected president they will finally love me!
Now : If they wont love me I will burn them to the ground.

Reactions: zinfamous

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
How's that swamp draining going? Oh, is he just filling it higher? Gee golly willickers