give me some crazy ideas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Chiropteran
Originally posted by: thepd7
Get Ripped (ie work out a ton)

Take a 2nd part-time job (more cash to travel, invest, etc)

I have already considered working out more, since I have more time. I'm overweight though, and my understanding is it's best to either focus on losing weight or gaining muscle, not both at the same time. So I do cardio 3 nights a week, would there really be a benefit to doing weight training at the same time if I am just trying to lose weight?

The idea of a second job is an interesting one, I knew a girl who worked with me who said she always tried to keep a 2nd part time job just to meet people. It could work.

Go to a bar, hang out and talk to people, I know older people who have made tons of friends that way.

I'm fairly shy. I don't know if I could really go up and start talking to random people in bars.

Meeting new people is difficult, but it becomes a lot easier if they're part of a club or activity that you share in common. I just moved to Montreal this summer and my friends here are either guys from my team or friends of a friend of mine who lives here.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
dont do that Tizyler , that doesn't work anymore.

for the OP i'd just sell your WoW account pick up some quick cash and take a trip to europe!

BTW what realm? :D

Emerald dream. RP-PVP Selling the characters would probably be the best way to quit, but I have never really done it before, and it'd be hard. Well geared 70 warlock, 70 paladin with all the best kara tanking gear, and a few alts.

If you don't have enough money to go to school and you aren't married and don't have kids then you work an hourly crap job, yes?

Well, either get a loan and do school since you should be making more money with a degree or get another part time job to save up for school.

Question: do WoW kids smoke pot or is that just CS addicts?

A few do. Almost all drink. Average age is probably around 22 in my guild though.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Maybe my ultimate problem is the job. I remember meeting lots of friends at past jobs, but other than a couple people around my age (29) most of the people here are in their late 40s or early 50s. It's hard to think about finding something else though, because this has been the best job I have had, and I am very comfortable here. Maybe too comfortable.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
psssh best kara gear? t4?

you could get a couple hundred for them id imagine...about 250 a pop or so.

im on twisting nether and agamaggan....TN is rp-pvp...hate those rp kids -_-

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Get a part time job.

If you enjoyed the military I woud look for a security type gig. Check id's at bars, become a bouncer. Interaction with people is lots of fun.

Geta job with a crowd management security company and take tickets or rove at concerts & sporting events all while getting paid.

Hang out at a local bar, get to know the regulars and play pool.

Join a bowling league, meet people.

Join an organization for singles, go on outings with them as a group.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

I was in the top raiding guild on the server, quitting it was the first step to playing wow less and maybe quitting altogether... but my plan didn't really work out, I am still playing just as much even though I'm not raiding like I used to.

chimmytime

Jul 26, 2002
try craigslist.

i found a basketball group that plays once a week, and its worked out great for myself.

so there has to be other things people are doing on there that you can join.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
You might try some activities at your community centre. They cost a bit, but they're cheaper than elsewhere. I'm doing an improv class once a week. Tons of fun, you get to laugh and make an ass of yourself, and you meet interesting people. I can't say that these people will become my best friends (most are older than me), but it's still a good time.

Jun 19, 2004
Change up your routine to begin with. The part time job is an excellent suggestion, and one I was going to make, but right off the bat that might be more than you can handle.

Do this. Get up earlier, do some sit ups, push ups, lift free weights. Nothing too drastic, you just need to change your pace. The endorphines will flow better and over the next few weeks you'll feel physically better = more confidence.

Change your lunch routine. Eat alone? Ask co-workers out for lunch. Change your after work routine. Don't go straight home. Hit a local bar for a drink or two. Just sit there, someone eventually is bound to say hi, then strike up a convo and let it go from there.

Actually, try to stay out of your house as much as humanly possible.

Uninstall the WoW game so you're not tempted.

Also, tell this online ho she needs to quit being such a cyber slut and be true to her man or GTFO of the relationship. I hate women who play games like this.

Get a job waiting tables. That's more physical activity and you meet all kinds of peeps. Also you'll be around a younger crowd and likely get asked out after work for parties/get togethers if you play your cards right.

Maybe the waiter thing could segway into bartending. Try it one or two nights a week, and if you like tending you can look at doing it more.

The key is to change patterns, with something, anything.

Remember, anything you can do (or stop doing) for 30 days becomes a habit usually.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

If anyone understood this they need to smash their computer now or lose their life forever.

Maybe my ultimate problem is the job. I remember meeting lots of friends at past jobs, but other than a couple people around my age (29) most of the people here are in their late 40s or early 50s. It's hard to think about finding something else though, because this has been the best job I have had, and I am very comfortable here. Maybe too comfortable.

Glad you have a good job, but obviously it doesn't pay enough, do you have a college degree? Would you go to college? Would you go to a technical (trade) school?

Get Ripped (ie work out a ton)

Take a 2nd part-time job (more cash to travel, invest, etc)

I have already considered working out more, since I have more time. I'm overweight though, and my understanding is it's best to either focus on losing weight or gaining muscle, not both at the same time. So I do cardio 3 nights a week, would there really be a benefit to doing weight training at the same time if I am just trying to lose weight?

The idea of a second job is an interesting one, I knew a girl who worked with me who said she always tried to keep a 2nd part time job just to meet people. It could work.

Go to a bar, hang out and talk to people, I know older people who have made tons of friends that way.

I'm fairly shy. I don't know if I could really go up and start talking to random people in bars.

Of course weight training helps, it burns calories (albeit not as much as cardio). And it just makes you feel better in general. You would probably be better off doing less weight more reps though.

Oh and if you are overweight, have tons of free time on your hands, and only work out 3 times a week then you have a HUGE problem. You should be doing cardio at least 6 times a week. Running, swimming, elliptical, SOMETHING. Do a search on working out or something like that and you will see a lot of great posts from TallBill and SpecialK on working out and advice from them to others in threads (a lot similar to you I think).

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE eat well. That doesn't mean eat only a little, that can and will hurt you in the long run if you are doing a lot of cardio and don't eat enough, but if you are trying to lose weight, have tons of free time, and all you eat is fast food or frozen crap then you need to get into cooking. It's so much cheaper and it's not hard to go buy fresh food and cook dishes. You can even make something then toss it in the fridge or freezer and heat it up whenever for the next week or so. I have some baked ziti with provolone, ground beef, and mozarella that I made friday for my roommate and a friend that came over and some is still in the fridge, had some yesterday. it's still delicious. That's not the healthiest of examples but at least it has good protein.

Best of luck with changing your life, unfortunately many people (including me a few times) fail so get someone close to you to help motivate you (if you don't have anyone PM me I will call you and get your lazy ass into shape!).

Really drive yourself to make a change and you can do this!

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
There are many great suggestions in here. I will add a little more to the cardio vs weight training. Lifting weights will not put weight on or make you bigger. An excess of calories is what makes you bigger. You can certainly lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. If your primary goal is to slim down then you should FOR SURE be lifting weights. Why you ask? Because the more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolism is and the more calories you'll burn even in a resting state. Running 4 times a week with no weights will just turn you into a skinny fat guy. Running 3 times a week and lifting 3 times a week will actually slim you down faster.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Special K
How do you like your job? Could you put more time into that and expect to see greater returns? What about going back to school for something totally different?

My job, no. Strict no-overtime. There isn't much room for advancement. I could look for a new job, that might be fun, but I don't think it'd be healthy to work 12 hours a day or whatever it would take to fill the time void. Going back to school, no. That would cost money I don't have.

Originally posted by: HammerCurl
You just want to meet new people without sports/volunteering and with a limited budget. Join a bookclub? Theres an assload of good books to read. A few coworkers I know rent movies/music from the library. You can browse the county's collection and they'll ship it out to the nearest library to you. They've got a decent collection too, (American Psycho was there, buncha recent movies but you can only rent for a day). Take up fishing? Now theres a hobby.

Book club sounds interesting. I already read a bit, I only discounted reading because it's not any better than sitting at my computer as far as health. But a book club would add some discussion and human contact to the whole thing, right? I guess I would look at bookstores for postings to find one?

Originally posted by: BlinderBomber

Here are some quick ideas:
1) Pick up the newspaper every day. Start reading it.
2) In that newspaper, find the crossword, sudoku, or whatever you fancy. Do that too.
3) Start trying new things. Even if you hate it, what's the worst that happens? You've wasted a little time, but I bet you'll find some stuff pretty quickly. (ideas: volunteering, camping, hiking, biking, photography, writing, reading, pottery, sailing, etc)
4) Take a walk or two. It's always nice to get outside. Even if you just walk half a mile, sit on a bench, and go home walking can be one of the most enjoyable things. Plus, I love people-watching.
5) Listen to music. Not in front of your computer, but in your house / apartment.
6) Try new things! Seriously! It's okay to be nervous, it's okay to think it's stupid, it's okay to hate it... the point is to put the effort in. Go skydiving, take a drawing class, who knows!

-Beau

Some great suggestions, thanks. I wish there was something easy like a local underground fight club, but as far as realistic suggestions yours seem pretty good, I might even try some of them.

As far as the school thing goes, you could always take out student loans if you really thought the education would be worthwhile in the long run.

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Quit WoW, nothing positive comes out of WoW.
Go to the gym, get ripped, pick up chicks.

Get a dog is also a good idea. Take it on walks, meet chicks, ect.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: meltdown75
I play wow 30 hours a week
Had to stop right there. cliffs?

I spend too much time playing wow.

It's hard to quit without something new and different to fill up that time.

I am looking for suggestions.

anything is better than playing WoW. anything.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
There are many good posts containing many good ideas! If you enjoy coffee, find a coffee club (many will tour small/medium sized roasters. Also, rent a kayak (12-17' sea kayak) and head to your nearest lake/river.

I like the bookclub idea as well! :)

Rogo

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
So far, I haven't tried anything "new". I saw Sonata Arctica last night, which was awesome, too bad there isn't a concert like that every night. I'm not sure what I'm going to try yet, but I am going to avoid playing wow until saturday at least and just see how I feel about it after 3 days off.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
dont do that Tizyler , that doesn't work anymore.

for the OP i'd just sell your WoW account pick up some quick cash and take a trip to europe!

BTW what realm? :D

:laugh: