Give me some arguments why homosexuality is wrong and should be declared illegal.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sex, gender and sexual orientation are totally different things. Transgenderism has nothing to do with homosexuality. Most gays and lesbians are comfortable with their sex.

Transsexuals (those who have undergone sexual reassignment surgery) are much more likely to commit suicide than the average person, but that's not necessarily because of the surgery. Transgender and transsexuals are both much more likely to be subject to rejection by family and friends, discrimination, and violence. As usual, correlation does not imply causation.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...transgender-and-gender-non-conforming-adults/

Thanks. I'm seeking knowledge, as you figured out. Not to judge, but to understand the why and how. Good info!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure if it's true, but if it is I'm not sure what meaning that statistic has. Clearly anyone in that position starts from a position of high stress to begin. Add in that they need to take Hormones and Surgeries which bowth cause significant changes to a persons sense of self, it seems reasonable to me that the transition period is just another level of stress. Add in how to deal with Family/Friends who have questionable levels of support or even opposition and the stress increases even more. Then you gotta find a future person to fall in love and what not, it makes such a change a constant source of stress.

Wow. That must be really difficult! I'm not gay, but I think it's important to try and understand those who are.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Just go to divorce court, marriage is a property contract in which(modern practise in some parts of the world)the wife can now own property and is no longer considered as property.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I actually love this rationale..."if 1 percent of the population can't do X, then 99 percent of the population shouldn't be allowed to do it either".

People often complain about the oppression of the minority by the majority, but are a-OK with the oppression of the majority by the minority when they can't get what they want...and actually look you in the face and say what you're saying.

How is getting access to the same rights and protections the majority receives 'oppression"?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Nice straw...

What you didnt understand is that this minority forced a majority to reconsider the legal concept of mariage, and that this concept is no more based on the will of two people to have children and raise them, wich imply a man and a woman, but on a sexual relation.

So if sexuality is what define mariage then anybody can marry his pets provided he has sexual relations with them, why grant this right only to homosexuals.?.

And following the same logic we could legalize mariage between sisters and brothers and between brothers and brothers, this latter case shouldnt present any consanguinity risk given that the union is, well , sterile by nature.

You know, I was thinking about this the other day and I don't know a single couple that said, 'We want to have children, so we should get married!' Every couple I know decided to get married because they knew they loved each other and wanted to spend their lives together, children never crossed any of their minds.

It would seem that functionally marriage is not about child rearing.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You know, I was thinking about this the other day and I don't know a single couple that said, 'We want to have children, so we should get married!' Every couple I know decided to get married because they knew they loved each other and wanted to spend their lives together, children never crossed any of their minds.

It would seem that functionally marriage is not about child rearing.

That kind of talk won't get you invited to nehalem256's birthday party.

Dec 11, 2014
Okay so based on what I know about homosexuality, I do not consider it a wrong thing. I feel that same-sex marriages should be allowed.

However I realize that there are many people who think differently. I respect the fact that people have differing opinions, and see it as a good thing. I would like to invite such people to present their views and change mine, if possible.

Here's a catch, however. The arguments made against homosexuality and same sex marriage must be scientific and non-religious in nature. Therefore, please do not make arguments like "The bible considers it a sin".

Start.

It shouldn't be legislated one way or the other. It isn't the governments business what you do in the privacy of your own home, as long as it is consensual and does not infringe on anothers civil rights.

To do otherwise would, well... infringe on anothers civil rights.

I do not agree with homosexuality. I also do not agree with taking recreational drugs. But I will always support the rights of others to with their lives as they will, even if they are personally destructive. If someone wants to ruin their life, that is their business, not mine or the governments.

Nov 29, 2006
It shouldn't be legislated one way or the other. It isn't the governments business what you do in the privacy of your own home, as long as it is consensual and does not infringe on anothers civil rights.

To do otherwise would, well... infringe on anothers civil rights.

I do not agree with homosexuality. I also do not agree with taking recreational drugs. But I will always support the rights of others to with their lives as they will, even if they are personally destructive. If someone wants to ruin their life, that is their business, not mine or the governments.

That would be totally fine with me if we first unregulated the current marriage situation. That way we're all on the same playing field.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
So if we keep growing the population.... everybody will be gay?

Yeah... the whole argument that gays are natures way of limiting the population is plain retarded. Like nature somehow knows the current population and decides to cut it back some, whatever.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
Despite what some individuals are trying to argue here. There are ZERO legitimate arguments for making homosexuality illegal. Some folks need to learn how to butt out of the sexual lives of consenting adults.

I suppose you feel that there are zero legitimate arguments for making marriage between siblings and/or multiple people illegal as well then, right?

I mean, because what is right or not obviously has nothing to do with the situation, is that your view?

If anyone needs to butt out, it's the gays. (pun intended). Seriously though, they are the ones that want to change the definition of marriage. Well, actually now half the population is, I guess.

Last edited:

Vaux

May 24, 2013
To answer the OP, homosexuality should not be "declared illegal". People are free to do what they wish. Marriage has long been defined as between a man and a woman, so gay marriage is not illegal. It's just not legal. There is a difference.

I'm against gay marriage because it's simply wrong. The same sex is not meant to come together as one. IMO homosexuality is a genetic defect, and there has been research supporting this point of view. That is why it has survived evolution. That is why you see it in nature. Same as some babies being born with three arms or two heads, some are born gay. Regardless, homosexuality is not a good thing, it is very unhealthy and it shouldn't be celebrated with marriage.

Last edited:

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Marriage has long been defined as between a man and a woman, so gay marriage is not illegal. It's just not legal. There is a difference.

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

Full Definition of ILLEGAL:
not according to or authorized by law

Would a Venn diagram help?

Fi24l.gif

Last edited:

Vaux

May 24, 2013

Hmmph - OK. Bad example. What I was trying to say is from what I understand in common law marriage was just defined as being between a man and woman. It never mentioned same sex, therefore it wasn't really a law against it, no law ever existed. Kind of like how the rules of baseball aren't covered in football. It was never applicable.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If anyone needs to butt out, it's the gays. (pun intended). Seriously though, they are the ones that want to change the definition of marriage. Well, actually now half the population is, I guess.

Self-contradicting paragraph.

To answer the OP, homosexuality should not be "declared illegal". People are free to do what they wish. Marriage has long been defined as between a man and a woman, so gay marriage is not illegal. It's just not legal. There is a difference.

And when people are saying that the definition should be made more broad to allow gay people to marry, you're saying that shouldn't be made legal.... because? If you're going to say that it's because the definition of marriage is such and such and MUST NOT CHANGE, consider that it has changed over the centuries already. Saying that it must not change to include gay people is like saying electric cars cannot be called cars because they don't have a combustion engine.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Marriage has long been defined as between a man and a woman,
No, only one specific mostly Christian definition of marriage defines it as between a man and a woman. Lots of cultures have marriage that is not defined that way.

so gay marriage is not illegal. It's just not legal. There is a difference.
If a thing that is not legal it is by definition illegal. Laws do not describe things we are allowed to do, but things we are NOT allowed to do. So, if I say that chewing gum is not legal, that means that there is a law that prohibits people from chewing gum, not that there is no law specifically allowing people to chew gum.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
No, only one specific mostly Christian definition of marriage defines it as between a man and a woman. Lots of cultures have marriage that is not defined that way.

If a thing that is not legal it is by definition illegal. Laws do not describe things we are allowed to do, but things we are NOT allowed to do. So, if I say that chewing gum is not legal, that means that there is a law that prohibits people from chewing gum, not that there is no law specifically allowing people to chew gum.

Vaux would have been more accurate to say that prior to recent changes, gay marriage was not recognized by the law - that is, there was no law forbidding two men from finding some minister to perform a wedding ceremony for them. Such a ceremony would carry no legal weight, however.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Vaux would have been more accurate to say that prior to recent changes, gay marriage was not recognized by the law - that is, there was no law forbidding two men from finding some minister to perform a wedding ceremony for them. Such a ceremony would carry no legal weight, however.

Even that is questionable. I could not actually claim I was married. If, before recent changes, I found some minister and had him perform a wedding ceremony for me and my same sex partner, then filed our taxes as married and filing jointly, I would be in trouble. I would have broken a law.

Feb 6, 2007
Even that is questionable. I could not actually claim I was married. If, before recent changes, I found some minister and had him perform a wedding ceremony for me and my same sex partner, then filed our taxes as married and filing jointly, I would be in trouble. I would have broken a law.

Of course you could claim it, you just wouldn't be married in the eyes of the state and you would get in trouble for tax fraud. But I know a lot of lesbian couples who have been together for decades and have had marriage ceremonies long before gay marriage was ever legal in their jurisdiction. They know that they don't have the paperwork or legal recognition to file jointly, but that doesn't stop them from referring to their relationship as a marriage in conversation. Just because the state doesn't consider you married doesn't mean you can't be married in your own mind, or your church for that matter, and that's honestly more important than whatever the state acknowledges. The government benefits are important too, and they're worth fighting for, don't get me wrong, but no one gets married just so they can file taxes together.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Of course you could claim it, you just wouldn't be married in the eyes of the state and you would get in trouble for tax fraud. But I know a lot of lesbian couples who have been together for decades and have had marriage ceremonies long before gay marriage was ever legal in their jurisdiction. They know that they don't have the paperwork or legal recognition to file jointly, but that doesn't stop them from referring to their relationship as a marriage in conversation.

Now we are starting to talk about definitions. I can go down to the bank and withdraw money from my account and tell people that I robbed the bank. Does does that mean I'm a bank robber? Unfortunately legal definition is important when talking about things that are legally defined.

Just because the state doesn't consider you married doesn't mean you can't be married in your own mind, or your church for that matter, and that's honestly more important than whatever the state acknowledges.
Is it really? Because it really does not feel that way when you are the one being told by a hospital security that only family is allowed. The legal definition defines more than government benefits, it creates social expectations.

The government benefits are important too, and they're worth fighting for, don't get me wrong, but no one gets married just so they can file taxes together.
You are right about that.