Giuliani: Trump is "committed to" regime change in Iran

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
So it's war with Iran time. Netanyahu is back to his ACME bomb presentations and Trump is about to withdraw the US from the Iran deal at 2pm tomorrow. I always did think Trump would start a war, but I wonder if Trump understands that Bibi doesn't simply want him to "act" out a war... Bibi wants the Marines to take Tehran like they took Baghdad in 2003. I'm pretty sure Trump just wants to make threats and maybe send some cruise missiles into a warehouse or a dilapidated apartment building somewhere. He has no intention of doing anything of value for anyone, he doesn't even comprehend the concept.

So I am encouraged that things will turn out well in the end due to Trump's utter incompetence in every possible realm. Anybody who relies on Trump gets screwed in the end. This will hold true for Bibi and Israel, mark my words.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/05/giuliani-trump-iran-regime-change-570744

Giuliani: Trump is 'committed to' regime change in Iran
Rudy Giuliani pushed for regime change in Iran on Saturday, saying President Donald Trump is “as committed to regime change as we are.”

It's “the only way to peace in the Middle East” and “more important than an Israeli-Palestinian deal,” Giuliani, Trump’s newest attorney in the ongoing Russia probe and a former mayor of New York City, told reporters after giving a speech to the Iran Freedom Convention for Democracy and Human Rights in Washington.

The speech was hosted by the Organization of Iranian-American Communities, a group that aims to promote democracy in the Islamic Republic and was supportive of the December protests there.

At one point in his speech, Giuliani, who has served as an informal adviser to Trump and was under consideration to be his secretary of state, pretended that his notes were the Iran nuclear deal, ripping them up and spitting on them.

The White House is considering the future of the Iran nuclear agreement struck between Iran and the U.S., five other countries and the European Union.

During the December protests in Iran, Trump tweeted that it was “TIME FOR CHANGE!”, adding “the great Iranian people have been repressed for many years.”

“Iran is failing at every level despite the terrible deal made with them by the Obama Administration,” Trump tweeted on Jan. 1. “The great Iranian people have been repressed for many years. They are hungry for food & for freedom. Along with human rights, the wealth of Iran is being looted. TIME FOR CHANGE!”

As a congressman, Mike Pompeo, now secretary of state, wrote in a Fox News op-ed “Congress must act to change Iranian behavior, and, ultimately, the Iranian regime.” His predecessor at State, Rex Tillerson, also voiced explicit support for regime change, telling CNN, “we always support a peaceful transition of power.” A top State Department official later said the administration was not pursuing regime change.

Giuliani caused confusion earlier this week when he said that three Americans being held in North Korea were going to be released on Thursday. As of Friday morning, CNN reported that the National Security Council had no update on the situation. Trump told reporters Friday afternoon that he has been “constant contact” with North Korea.

Amid the focus on his comments about the release, Giuliani told reporters Saturday, “The less said about it, the better,” adding he does not know anything about the status of the prisoners.

“Nothing has changed, they’re working on it,” Giuliani added. “I’m not privy to what they are doing. I’m reading the newspapers just like you are.”

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
remember when Trump wasn't a neocon?

pepperidge farm remembers....

Reactions: Chocu1a

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Why is Trump's lawyer giving a speech to the Iran Freedom Convention for Democracy and Human Rights?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Why should we be commited to regime change, holy shit.

I honestly think he is shorting the whole US stock market and is purposefully trying to profit from making it crash. He took 30 points of the index today with his goddamn tweet about this. F*** Trump

Reactions: ivwshane

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why should we be commited to regime change, holy shit.

The hilarious thing is that I know a few Trump fans on Twitter who freaked out over his Syria missile strike and decision to stay put in the country. They thought they voted for an anti-interventionist (never mind that Trump usually makes promises he won't keep)... imagine if Trump actually took military action against Iran. They'd be apoplectic.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Trump is a first-class idiot, but even I think he wouldn't be this stupid. Have to consider the source--Giuliani has even less credibility than Trump.

If true, he could be referring to any number of covert actions that the US may have already tried or planned for, i.e. stoking an Arab Spring type movement or something else that would be viewed as a grassroots effort by the Iranian people, and not foreign intervention or any military action.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's all the Israeli tail wagging the the American dog, again. Just in time for the midterms, of course, to get the GOP Jeezus freaks worked up & the big money flowing from AIPAC supporters.

The whole thing is incredibly stupid & counterproductive but that's what I've come to expect from Trump. He's driving the Iranians into the arms of their own hard liners.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It's all the Israeli tail wagging the the American dog, again. Just in time for the midterms, of course, to get the GOP Jeezus freaks worked up & the big money flowing from AIPAC supporters.

The whole thing is incredibly stupid & counterproductive but that's what I've come to expect from Trump. He's driving the Iranians into the arms of their own hard liners.

I agree but throw Saudi love in there with Israeli. Those two country’s control us.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
the only reason they're even floating this is that they think it'll get them a win in the mid-terms and it'll likely have the opposite effect.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I agree but throw Saudi love in there with Israeli. Those two country’s control us.

We allow them to influence us in ways we shouldn't.

It's important to understand that Iran has democratic institutions even if their democracy has much tighter limits than our own. They have orderly transitions of power & are capable of evolving into a State more like our own. They have the tools to do so. They also have the backing of the people. They'll defend their govt. Change in such a society has to come from within.

Contrast that with how the Saudis do things. They rule by divine right & are utterly corrupt. Any of them can accuse the others of corruption & be right about it. However the Princes sort it out is how it's gonna be. They've managed to make it mostly bloodless but they don't have the institutional structure to make sure it stays that way.

Reactions: BStorm and Jaskalas

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018

s.

Yes Sir its all saber rattling for the above purposes. But they will still kill the nuclear deal. I have no love lost for the Iranian bastards who have the blood of innocent Syrian children on their hands. I wish the Iranian regime the very worst.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes Sir its all saber rattling for the above purposes. But they will still kill the nuclear deal. I have no love lost for the Iranian bastards who have the blood of innocent Syrian children on their hands. I wish the Iranian regime the very worst.

Please. We have a lot more innocent middle eastern blood on our hands than the Iranians. Your concerns are duly noted, however.

It's completely peripheral to the JCPOA, anyway. Renouncing it will undermine our leadership in the diplomatic realm entirely. There's little reason for anybody to take us seriously if a new admin won't honor the commitments of their predecessors when the other country is living up to their end of it.

I seriously doubt that little Rocket Man will be impressed at all.

None of that seems to matter when Trump & the GOP seek to gain domestic political advantage by frothing up existing anti-Iranian sentiment.

Mar 11, 2004
Trump is a first-class idiot, but even I think he wouldn't be this stupid. Have to consider the source--Giuliani has even less credibility than Trump.

If true, he could be referring to any number of covert actions that the US may have already tried or planned for, i.e. stoking an Arab Spring type movement or something else that would be viewed as a grassroots effort by the Iranian people, and not foreign intervention or any military action.

I think this is them testing the waters to see what Americans' response will be. They can easily spin this as Guiliani doesn't know what he's talking about, and Guiliani can say that he meant that Turmp thinks the current regime is bad, not that he's actively looking to overthrow them. So, low key way of seeing what the response would be and then gauge if its worth doing like with Iraq and fabricating a bunch of bullshit to build the case for going to war.

This reeks of Bolton. I think he sold Turmp on being able to save his ass with a good old war, and they're trying to figure out how to do it. Bolton doesn't care about Syria, North Korea is too much of a risk. They'd be able to get Republicans (who, just like they were fed decades of "Hilary is the devil!" rhetoric have been fed "Iran is the devil!" rhetoric for even longer) and evangelicals on board, it'd play to Turmp's racist base, and they think they can spin it as "see the Democrats don't actually care about human rights, etc", along with the way they spun Iraq. I really think Turmp is getting desperate and he found someone willing to sell him the cure for his ills in Bolton, who knows how to play Turmp. Hell, he could probably get him onboard just by going "you were right, Obama intentionally weakened America by working with the Iranians". I think there might even be enough legitimate points they could sell on some Democrats to get them to support it too (basically tell them that they need to get to Iran before Russia exerts greater influence, do something about the human rights' abuses, and Iran being the big puppeteer behind the terrorism/extremism of the region).

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Breaking the Iranian deal would be a disaster for US position in the world. Actually attacking them and going to war, for what? That would be America's second grave crime against humanity in as many decades. The warmongering of America's leaders needs to stop.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Breaking the Iranian deal would be a disaster for US position in the world. Actually attacking them and going to war, for what? That would be America's second grave crime against humanity in as many decades. The warmongering of America's leaders needs to stop.

I seriously doubt that the intent is to wage war. It's all about domestic politics, other considerations be damned. If Dems can take Congress then Trump & the GOP will be screwed. They'll lean heavily on their traditional perma-issues, hatin' on Iran being just one of them.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
We allow them to influence us in ways we shouldn't.

It's important to understand that Iran has democratic institutions even if their democracy has much tighter limits than our own. They have orderly transitions of power & are capable of evolving into a State more like our own. They have the tools to do so. They also have the backing of the people. They'll defend their govt. Change in such a society has to come from within.

Contrast that with how the Saudis do things. They rule by divine right & are utterly corrupt. Any of them can accuse the others of corruption & be right about it. However the Princes sort it out is how it's gonna be. They've managed to make it mostly bloodless but they don't have the institutional structure to make sure it stays that way.
Iran also once had a legitimate democracy, before some crap country overthrew their leader and replaced him with a dictatorship so bad he would be overthrown and replaced.

Reactions: Thebobo

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Iran also once had a legitimate democracy, before some crap country overthrew their leader and replaced him with a dictatorship so bad he would be overthrown and replaced.

Actually, to be truthful, it was two crap countries that conspired to overthrow Iran's democratically elected leadership, not just one.