Girlfriend saves Boyfriend from cobra...

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
by calling his phone..

My wife just showed me this video.. it sounds corny till you realize that if she hadn't called him, the cobra would have fallen on his head.. (watch from 20 seconds in)

Girlfriend of the year imo!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Every now and then my wife and I daydream about moving to Thailand...and then I see something that changes my mind.

Like the Thai version of soft-shell crab:

Reactions: homebrew2ny

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... conflicted ... pretty girl bends mind toward kisses vs. what goes into pretty girls mouth.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Jigga during the great recession when I couldn't get a job in the US, I lived for 8 years in Singapore. I visited Thailand plenty of times along with Bali, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, India, China and Japan.

As for creepy things, I saw a red and black striped sea snake in Koh Phi Phi while I was in the water, saw a cobra in Siam Reap while I was taking a leak by the roadside, and had a run in with a russel's viper that would have bitten me unless a cat jumped on my leg.. apparently the cat was fighting the viper to protect its kittens.

But I always felt safe in the cities.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Every now and then my wife and I daydream about moving to Thailand...and then I see something that changes my mind.

Like the Thai version of soft-shell crab:

I heard the crème that you squeeze out of the abdomens is to die for.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I heard the crème that you squeeze out of the abdomens is to die for.

OMG I was in Bangkok once and this tourist was hysterical while eating cockroaches, laughing and trying to get everyone to try it, ooh soo yummy. She put one in my face..

I replied, No thanks, I like mine chocolate covered!

Glad I got myself out of that!

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
OMG I was in Bangkok once and this tourist was hysterical while eating cockroaches, laughing and trying to get everyone to try it, ooh soo yummy. She put one in my face..

I replied, No thanks, I like mine chocolate covered!

Glad I got myself out of that!

The closest I got to eating insects was in a local Chinese restaurant and it wasn't by choice either. I found what was left of a large cockroach floating among the won tons in my won ton noodle soup a bit of the way into the meal. I called the server over and pointed it out to her and she gave me a look like she was going to charge me extra to have it in there.

Well, allow me to correct that. I recall I ate deep fried wasp larvae while I was in (at the time) South Vietnam. It was mild and sort'a nutty tasting but way too heavy on the tuong ot hot sauce.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Funny thing how those 'disgust' or 'horror' reactions work. There's absolutely no objective reason why the idea of eating spiders (or insects) should be repellent, it must purely be upbringing and culture. Yet it still makes me shudder and I don't think there's any way I'm getting past that. Is the instinct hard-wired in but not initially set to anything in particular? Then it gets set early on, rather like an early DVD player locking to a region?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Funny thing how those 'disgust' or 'horror' reactions work. There's absolutely no objective reason why the idea of eating spiders (or insects) should be repellent, it must purely be upbringing and culture. Yet it still makes me shudder and I don't think there's any way I'm getting past that. Is the instinct hard-wired in but not initially set to anything in particular? Then it gets set early on, rather like an early DVD player locking to a region?
My mind is working overtime when I see that... What are you eating? What is the spider eating? What is the yummy creamy stuff someone talked about? Is it liquified/dissolved insect/flies/mosqito innards? Is that what is so tasty? Show me the spider meat.. ill eat that... but the... stomach... contents... spider innards? I mean wtf? Venom?
Hungry enough ill eat it for sure. Survival is survival.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

It’s not the eating that gives me horror—it’s the idea of digging holes to catch these “aggressive” Thai tarantulas, then trying to defang them—that’s what gives me horror.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I have to admit I did eat a balut in Philippines though I needed the better part of 2 San Miguels to help wash it down.