Girl suspended at school for saying Bless You after someone sneezed

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
8-20-2014

http://wgntv.com/2014/08/20/girl-suspended-for-saying-bless-you-at-school/

Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school

A young girl in Tennessee says she was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

When Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said bless you, she says her teacher told her that was for church.

Turner feels her teacher was taking issue for her religion. When she stood up for herself, Turner says she was told to go to the administrator’s office. She was later placed in in-school suspension for the rest of that class period.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
What was the message of Newell's thread today about religion forcing its morality on others?

haha.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
What was the message of Newell's thread today about religion forcing its morality on others?

haha.

One incident, in some town, somewhere,.. yeah, time to wale and cry about being persecuted.

Hopefully the National Guard will storm in and protect the Christians from the monsters in Dyer County.

Also - sensationalism found - thanks bud, your kind always deliver, in spades no less.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Next time someone sneezes in that class I hope the united, "Bless you!" from the class knocks that teacher on his ass.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
No, she was suspended for "[standing] up for herself." She probably did it in a foolish, disruptive and disrespectful manner.

edit: lol. just noticed the suspension was only for the rest of the class period. What a joke.

Last edited:

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013

haha.

haha. Religious guy either (1) fails at identifying irony or (2) fails to understand the word morality.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I suspect she was being disruptive and when called on it became even more disruptive. OTOH, maybe not, the teacher may have been an asshole about it, but suspect there's more to the story.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
No, she was suspended for "[standing] up for herself." She probably did it in a foolish, disruptive and disrespectful manner.

edit: lol. just noticed the suspension was only for the rest of the class period. What a joke.

I suspect she was being disruptive and when called on it became even more disruptive. OTOH, maybe not, the teacher may have been an asshole about it, but suspect there's more to the story.

^^

That piece of the story is missing and would be the answer.
One stands up for oneself "after the fact and to portray one as the innocent victim" when doing wrong and caught at it.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
^^

One stands up for oneself "after the fact and to portray one as the innocent victim" when doing wrong and caught at it.

Is it wrong to participate in a superstition that predates Christianity?

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
Is it wrong to participate in a superstition that predates Christianity?

I'm pretty sure that no one is actually concerned that a demon is going to jump up your nose. Salute and Gesundheit are foreign and not always well known, there's a whole wikipedia page on multinational responses to a sneeze. What's missing is whether the rule is against uttering sound or specifically banning any references to blessing which invites accursed supernatural shenanigans in to safe spaces for learning.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I'm curious what other students and the teacher would claim the exact words exchanged to be. I have a really hard time believing the teacher actually said "We will not have Godly speaking in my class"

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
This whole thing sounds like a total farce. Some further insight:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ed-for-responding-to-a-sneeze-with-bless-you/

ahahahahahahaha!

As always, I would remind all readers not to send any nasty messages to Turner or her teacher. You’re not helping.

Apparently the atheist community has quite a problem with their followers harassing people :)

My view is, whatever the specifics are, this is not a situation to blow into national news. They are fully capable of working things out amongst themselves, should not become pawns in the internet's always escalating religion versus atheism fight.

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Where is the ACLU when you need them?

Superstitious outbursts aren't going to be covered. If your religion calls for you to say, "PRAISE ALLAH," every time the teacher speaks an article, you don't really have a place in the classroom. If you need to run screaming every time you see the number 13, first grade is going to be a challenge.

This prohibition is a valuable practical lesson in cause and effect and cracks open the door to questioning the logic of one's behaviors. A person who cannot negate a belief for analysis leaves the quality of his beliefs at the mercy of happenstance -- he will maintain a baseless belief unless the world is able to package a disproof that fits into his willingness/capacity to understand that exceeds the excuses he invents.

Is there really a point in collecting OCD behaviors? Should seeing an umbrella fill you with fear out of the possibility of someone opening it inside a building? Should you live your life in terror over the thought of breaking a mirror when it's taken care of with a shop vac and trip to Walmart? Should seeing a stepladder in front of you give you a mini heart attack over the thought that your path might have intersected with "under?"
Do you think schools should teach superstition? Do you think a public school should be teaching that there are women who can fly on broomsticks, that they prefer black cats as company, and that this somehow makes the mere presence of any black cat a mortal threat to the lives of all humans within some unspecified range?

black_kitten_1572078.jpg

Last edited:

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
God help us teenage Facebook martyrs are making the news.

Wasn't Obama supposed to make christianity illegal or send you all to FEMA camps or something? Yet another campaign promise broken.

Dec 10, 2005
There could be more to the story, but we'll never hear it unless the parents sign a release. Privacy laws prevent the school and teacher from telling their side.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Sounds like the story is complete high school girl drama bullshit. Teacher yells at kid for being disruptive and no suspension given. Who gives a fuck, move on.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
^^

Yeah, she said "Bless you", the little monster. The very textbook definition of doing wrong.

This whole thing sounds like a total farce. Some further insight:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ed-for-responding-to-a-sneeze-with-bless-you/
Hey, can't argue with an atheist blog speculating about what MIGHT have happened.

God help us teenage Facebook martyrs are making the news.

Wasn't Obama supposed to make christianity illegal or send you all to FEMA camps or something? Yet another campaign promise broken.
That only happens after he rapes a nun and eats a baby. Or is it eat a nun and rape a baby . . .

Read your Bible, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

coming from an atheist no less.....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
suspect she was being disruptive and when called on it became even more disruptive. OTOH, maybe not, the teacher may have been an asshole about it, but suspect there's more to the story.
Is that another atheius talking point?? sad