Girl Kidnapped and Imprisoned for 18 years near San Francisco

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rezag3000

Jul 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Originally posted by: TheSkinsFan
Originally posted by: Don66
Dude and his wife should be executed for all the lives they ruined....

This.

These people should get a fair trial. If they are convicted beyond a reasonable doubt, they should be shot in the stomach and left to die and their bodies incinerated.

I wonder what the soft-on-crime answer to this situation is.

Life in prison. Is that soft in your opinion?

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Like I said in another thread, the "SAW" movie series has some excellent techniques I would like to try on these people. I can't imagine what this young lady and her family have gone through and will continue to go through for the rest of their lives....:|

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
These people deserve to rot in Hell, but no punishment from our legal system is going to undo what they did or deter any other monster like this. Is that what constitutes a soft on crime answer?

I don't know you haven't really said what your punishment would be...

I'm quite fine with life in prison for these folks. But my previous point is if no horrible punishment/execution will undo the damage or deter others then how do you justify it?

Retributive Justice

Oct 16, 1999
These people deserve to rot in Hell, but no punishment from our legal system is going to undo what they did or deter any other monster like this. Is that what constitutes a soft on crime answer?

I don't know you haven't really said what your punishment would be...

I'm quite fine with life in prison for these folks. But my previous point is if no horrible punishment/execution will undo the damage or deter others then how do you justify it?

Retributive Justice

Government shouldn't be in the revenge business. Then it can justify anything.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure if ya put them in the general prison population, they will get what they deserve. Especially the guy, most prisoners don't like this kind of stuff and he will be in a living hell.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Government shouldn't be in the revenge business. Then it can justify anything.
Exactly, because then we wind up with prisons like this:

Originally posted by: dawp
I'm pretty sure if ya put them in the general prison population, they will get what they deserve. Especially the guy, most prisoners don't like this kind of stuff and he will be in a living hell.
When we should be rehabilitating the ones we have a reasonable chance with, and isolating the ones who can't. I would prefer prison communities forced and sterilization for pedophiles.

That said, if the victim prefer the death penalty in such a clear cut case as this one seems to be, I wouldn't stand in her way. I don't think such vengeance should be encouraged though, and don't believe anyone but the victim or a family member should be allowed to preform the execution.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Once a molester....always a molester. There is no cure for these sick kinds of people. If there is a hell, I hope this couple burns in it.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Infohawk, were do you draw the line of justifiable in terms of revenge for a case like this?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: kylebisme
Infohawk, were do you draw the line of justifiable in terms of revenge for a case like this?

I'm not clear on your question.

And it's not revenge. If it were, it would be the girl or the family punishing the criminal.

TheSkinsFan

Golden Member
May 15, 2009
The man is claiming that he has slept with BOTH of his daughters in his arms every night, for 15 and 11 years respectively, but that he never so much as kissed them inappropriately... but he had no problem kidnapping and repeatedly raping an 11-year old strangers' daughter for 18 years!

/disgust

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: TheSkinsFan
Originally posted by: Don66
Dude and his wife should be executed for all the lives they ruined....

This.

These people should get a fair trial. If they are convicted beyond a reasonable doubt, they should be shot in the stomach and left to die and their bodies incinerated.

I wonder what the soft-on-crime answer to this situation is.

An interesting question, did nobody answer it on your other thread?

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...AR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

jackson2009

Banned
Aug 28, 2009
its disgusting both him and his wife, police fd up as well, next door neighbor called them 3 years ago.

he should get his balls cut off

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
I'm not clear on your question.

And it's not revenge. If it were, it would be the girl or the family punishing the criminal.
It's revenge either way, check a dictionary.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Is it now known what happened to the girl during her 18 years of captivity?

I have not yet heard of rape/molestation charges being brought to the kidnappers.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Is it now known what happened to the girl during her 18 years of captivity?

I have not yet heard of rape/molestation charges being brought to the kidnappers.

The woman, in fact, was Jaycee Dugard, the authorities say, and on Friday, Mr. Garrido, 58, and his wife, Nancy, 54, were arraigned on more than two dozen counts of kidnapping, rape, false imprisonment and other charges in connection with Ms. Dugard?s abduction in 1991 as she walked to a bus stop in South Lake Tahoe. She was 11.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08.../29abduct.html?_r=1&hp

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Sadly, Jaycee and her 2 daughters will likely never have a "normal" day for the rest of their lives. No way they're getting over the psychological abuse that's been visited on them for that period of time, any time soon.

That being said, I'm sure we could find some sort of parasitic something or other that could be introduced to the kidnapper's body, that would spend the next 5 to 10 years eating him from the inside out. Living with that, and knowing that it's happening to you day by day, might begin to introduce the same sort of psychological effect on him, that he gave to those 3 girls.

The geek side of me wishes we had a sarcophagus from Stargate SG1, so we could flay the sumbitch to death, put him in the sarcophagus and bring him back to life, flay him to death again, etc, etc, etc. That might be fitting, though in the politically correct world, cruel and unusual. :roll:

Oct 30, 2004

My local paper ran an op-ed by Mitch Albom which makes this story even more disturbing. Not only was this guy imprisoned years ago for rape, but because he imprisoned the woman in his backyard years ago and received long sentences (50 years, life) and was then paroled after 11 years for good behavior!!! In other words--he never should have been let out of prison in the first place! I hope that the media will further investigate this aspect of the story.

If he did something like this before, then why was he paroled? Who made the decision to parole him? Why was parole even possible? Why wasn't every piece of his property thoroughly searched and investigated every couple of months?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I'm curious: Are any of the posters here who are advocating extreme punishments in this case from the same crowd who preach the 2nd amendment when it comes to gun rights? And if so, how is it that you are so big on the U.S. Constitution when it serves YOUR purposes, but so easily ignore it when it comes to others. Or aren't you familiar with the 8th Amendment?

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: shira
I'm curious: Are any of the posters here who are advocating extreme punishments in this case from the same crowd who preach the 2nd amendment when it comes to gun rights? And if so, how is it that you are so big on the U.S. Constitution when it serves YOUR purposes, but so easily ignore it when it comes to others. Or aren't you familiar with the 8th Amendment?

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I don't disagree with you on the 8th Amendment. But the 8th Amendment is subject to interpretation. Death by a firing squad is not cruel and unusual according to the Supreme Court. You may disagree. The court has also said the death penalty for rape (without murder) is excessive. I disagree there. Rape by a stranger is a profound and permanent violation that calls for the maximum punishment IMO. And I think this case is more about prolonged torture. Torture IMO should also be punishable by death.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Rape by a stranger is a profound and permanent violation that calls for the maximum punishment IMO. And I think this case is more about prolonged torture. Torture IMO should also be punishable by death.
Sure, but some people are calling for torturous death here. And it is a revenge thing, did you bother to check a dictionary?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: kylebisme
Rape by a stranger is a profound and permanent violation that calls for the maximum punishment IMO. And I think this case is more about prolonged torture. Torture IMO should also be punishable by death.
Sure, but some people are calling for torturous death here. And it is a revenge thing, did you bother to check a dictionary?

I have a hunch you're cherry-picking a definition you want to see. Language isn't black and white.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
It is sad that his parole office visited him at his home several times a month but never noticed anything. Also that a neighbor called the police two years ago and the police didn't investigate much, they already are making public apologies.. His friends said they always though it odd that whenever they came to pick him up he would come out the door in a hurry and never invited them in.

They are now digging up the yard and neighboring properties on suspicion he is also a serial killer.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: shira

What in the hell does this kidnapping have to do with the 2A? Seems to me like someone has an axe to grind. Do you just go around looking for reasons to interject your opinion on the 2A wherever you can remotely attempt to apply it?