Giraffe riddle answer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Adrenaline, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Adrenaline

Adrenaline Diamond Member

I just read a riddle on Facebook:

"I've changed my profile to a giraffe. I tried to answer a riddle and got it wrong. Try the great giraffe challenge!The deal is I give you a riddle. You get it right you get to keep your profile pic. You get it wrong and you change your profile pic to a Giraffe for the next 3 days. MESSAGE ME ONLY SO YOU DON'T GIVE OUT THE ANSWER.Here is the riddle: 3:00 am, the doorbell rings and you wake up. Unexpected visitors, It's your parents and they are there for breakfast. You have strawberry jam, honey, wine, bread and cheese. What is the first thing you open?Remember... message me only. If you get it right I'll post your name here. If you get it wrong change your profile pic."

I answered the door which is wrong for some reason. The correct answer is eyes. This is a poorly worded riddle to me.

1. I am awake at 3 AM, so mine would be the door.

2. The question is ,"What is the first thing you open?" The word needed for the answer to be eyes would be opened instead of open. If the riddle said opened, then eyes would be correct.

Am I looking at this wrong?

2. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

So that's what the whole giraffe thing is about. I too would normally be awake at that time, unless I work the next day. Well I probably still would be awake but I'd be in bed trying to fall asleep.

And who the hell eats breakfast at that time? That is more like a very late supper, or just a snack time.

The whole riddle is illogical.

3. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt Lifer

Before I even opened my eyes I'd open the drawer where I keep my gun. Nobody rings my bell at 3am and lives.

4. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

The fridge.

5. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

Dad's dead, so a shotgun for the zombie apocalypse would be more appropriate than jam or wine.

As worded, the point at which the question is asked appears to be after you are already awake, at the door, and at least looking through the peephole.

So I'd agree with Adrenaline that "open" is not grammatically correct for "your eyes" since that occurred in the past (relative to the time point of the riddle) and "opened" would be the word to make the trick answer valid.

6. DigDog

DigDog Diamond Member

at 3am im playing BLR, so i'd probably open the wine.

7. SlitheryDee

SlitheryDee Lifer

Since the riddle detached the question from the point in time it makes you think it applies to, you would be justified in literally going back to the first thing you opened EVER. That would probably be your mouth as you sucked in your first breath after being born.

#7 SlitheryDee, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. skulkingghost

skulkingghost Golden Member

my answer would be the door. Parents are here, but you haven't opened the door yet. How could it be eyes if you already know all these visual clues?

9. Newbian

Newbian Lifer

Just another stupid facebook thing going around that it made me post giraffe meat recipes for all the people that have switched to using the pictures. :p

10. clamum

clamum Lifer

After reading it, I guess eyes.
    I don't think you actually know all these things yourself (in the riddle). You as a reader of the riddle are being told them, not you in the riddle/story. Or something.

11. SagaLore

SagaLore Elite Member

you win

12. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

Yes, you are and most everyone else who maintains they're up at 3AM, because you're working within the constraints of the riddle, not what you do in real life.

So, in that vein, you're asleep and get woken up by a knock at the door. What's the first thing you open? That's the riddle, everything else is fluff to hide the real question.

Again, here is the riddle:
    3:00 am, the doorbell rings and you wake up. What is the first thing you open?

Nothing more. And opened is past tense, the riddle is present tense...you're working too hard with semantics.

13. Adrenaline

Adrenaline Diamond Member

The riddle is present tense and in the riddle I am presently looking out the door.
    /shrug

14. disappoint

disappoint Lifer

None of you realize you blink? You open your eyes all the time. Speaking of time, the riddle is stupid considering it doesn't specify the time it is asking for. The question what is the first thing you open should specify what time they are asking for.

For example what is the first thing you open at 3:00am, or
    what is the first thing you open since your birth, or
    what is the first thing you open after the doorbell rings or
    what is the first thing you opened ever.

Yes you did exist before birth. How long before is up for debate. What is not up for debate are 2 things:

1) The riddle is intended to make you get it wrong by being too vague on purpose. Only idiots on Failbook would fall for such an obvious ploy.

1.999...) I'm not surprised the nobel laureats on Failbook produced yet another stupid game they play with each other.

2) Yes I'm being sarcastic calling them nobel laureats. More like Laurel and Hardiots.

15. disappoint

disappoint Lifer

Still it's not certain that the right answer would be eyes. You wake up at 3am. How do I know you didn't open your mouth to take a breath just before opening your eyes when you wake up? Maybe your mouth was closed while you slept and just before opening your eyes you opened it. It could happen, however unlikely. Nullifying the validity of the answer, I restate my distaste for such tomfoolery stemming from Failbook.

16. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

Before I opened my mouth, I opened my mothers vag.
    But I probably opened my hand even before that.

A riddle that asks the riddlee what he does is stupid anyway, as clearly the riddlee is free to do as he wishes.

The correct answer is: I open my fist, after socking the riddler right in the face.

17. Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi Lifer

So if you get it right, you only get to keep you existing profile pic?

That's like me making a bet with you for $5....but you're the only one that puts up money.

18. dank69

dank69 Lifer

I open the facebook window used to defriend the person posting this riddle.

19. lozina

lozina Lifer

What a moronic riddle.

Who is to say I don't open my mouth for a yawn first before opening my eyes?

And I assume waking up at 3am implies you are actually awake and not still laying in bed with your eyes closed

20. Rakehellion

Rakehellion Lifer

"the doorbell rings and you wake up" so clearly you were asleep

You could say that the door was already open, you're Lt. Geordi LaForge who doesn't open his eyes, and you keep your honey and wine in a big trough with no lid, but those are all stupid answers to weasel out of the fact that you got the riddle wrong.

21. TheVrolok

TheVrolok Lifer

AT over-analyzing a stupid Facebook riddle? No way! The answer is pretty obviously eyes, you just need to think of the context, "Stupid child's Facebook riddle."

22. Jeeebus

Jeeebus Diamond Member

23. CPA

CPA Elite Member

Leave it to ATOT to over-analyze a stupid riddle.

24. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

I think this is how spyware is born.

25. tmc

tmc Golden Member

yep, stupid riddle is stupid