Gilette just came out with a new Fusion shaver.... the Phenom.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
:confused:

Seems like a strange coincidence that both AMD and Gilette's flagship products are named "Phenom," a not-so-common word as it is.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Too bad I can't get Gillette products for free anymore. Is it like seven blades now? I thought the Fusion was getting to be ridiculous. Well I'll stick with my non-electric Fusion I guess.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Is it 8 blades? Then it's crazier because it overlaps with the Spider Platform that the Phenom rides on.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
LOL, they call them Powerglide blades? Sheesh, them marketers sure have spiced up what amounts to a simple procedure (sorry NDA protected).

BTW, its just a cosmetic change this time around (just like last year). Nothing really fancy in terms of tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I guess it came out too late, in too few numbers and was generally disappointing?
Check.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
:furiously clicks smiley:

I'm still using an electric razor I bought ~ 10 yrs. ago. The whole blades con never worked for me. I've had to replace the blades a few times of course, but it's still had to be gobs cheaper than buying disposable/reloadable.

People still actually buy those things?

Edit: I just browsed through Gillette's website. El Oh El. Looks like they hooked up with the same guys who do Monster Cable's marketing.

PowerGlide(tm) blades!!1

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Link for the lazy

Has anyone ever tried these battery powered Gillette razors? Are they any better than their traditional counterparts, or this is just marketing hogwash?

It is marketing hogwash for some people. It really depends on your skin. For me, it made a small difference if any. It sort of numbs the area a tiny bit as it shaves so it might subdue slight tugging sensation if any (depends on coarseness of facial hair).

FreshPrince -- it doesnt matter. There isn't anything revolutionary about the Phenom or even last year's Phantom. In fact, its just a cosmetic change and perhaps a slight difference in the way it grips to your hand.

Originally, the better blades came with the motorized systems. The better blades generally make the most difference as you would expect.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Link for the lazy

Has anyone ever tried these battery powered Gillette razors? Are they any better than their traditional counterparts, or this is just marketing hogwash?

I write a technology newspaper column, so I bought one to test a while back...

In short, the only difference is it makes your hand and face numb from all the vibrating - which isn't cool when you shave in the shower.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
marketing always works like this. everything goes in waves and trends like to be followed. remember clear cola? or the word "revolution" in everything after 9/11? its just the way companies do it, i guess so they dont seem out-of-style or off-the-wall.

or how about athlonXP's when windows XP was out?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Ultra. Hyper. iProduct. You___. My____. Fusion. Nano. Phenom. Just marketing words to make products sound amazing, even if they aren't. I actually like the Mach 3 better than the Fusion, but I'm sure good old fashion straight edges give you the closest shave, not a razor with tons of blades.

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
The battery one is not any better than the regular one.

I prefer 3-blade over 4-blade which is pain in the butt to clean.
I don't think I will buy a 5-blade.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Since the Fusion, powered or unpowered, sucked massive, sweaty donkey balls, I can't work up the slightest bit of enthusiasm for this :p

The Mach3 with Turbo blades is the pinnacle of shaving perfection :cool:

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
mach 3 is the perfection of shaving... the vibrating ones actually work well on azn people's hair

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I wonder if a lot of women are buying these? Makes female grooming oh so exhilarating, I bet.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I prefer Gilette razors over Shick. I have a powered razor and it seems to cause less irritation. Not sure that the shave itself is any closer, though.