Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Problems

Diagrafeas

Jun 24, 2005
I build a new PC with the following specs...

CPU: Intel 4670K
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
RAM: 2xCrucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer with LEDs 2x8GB (8-8-8-24)
GPU: Connect3D Radeon 4890 (carried over from my old PC)
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional (PCI) (carried over from my old PC)
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 700W (carried over from my old PC)

The mobo came with F2 BIOS which worked fine for 2 weeks except that it didn't detect the PCI Sound Card...and a USB WiFi n thingy(also carried over from my old PC) disconnects and reconnects when it feels like it...i ignored both...
After two weeks i show that F5 BIOS was released so i flashed it.
When i turned the PC on the following day it gave me

continues beeps
then rebooted by itself
no beep
then rebooted by itself
one normal beep but no actual POST
then rebooted by itself
continues beeps and so on...

I removed the battery, it booted and then i flashed F4 BIOS.
No problems for two weeks.
It even found the sound card for the first 2-3 boots and then lost it again.

Then F6 BIOS was released. I flashed it the exact same thing happened as F5.
I thought that it was a BIOS problem, so i reflashed F4.
No problems for a week.

Then the same thing happened with F4 as F5 and F6 even F2 now.

When the PC boots, no matter how many times i restart it it boots.
When i leave it shut down for the night and the next morning i boot it it never boots and i have to clear cmos.

I searched for BIOS beep codes (its an AMI by the way), and although i am not sure it may be the PSU.

Does anyone have the BIOS beep codes for this motherboard?

Edit...
Also i measured the 12V actual voltage with a multimeter from a molex cable and it is 12.2V all the time(for both following cases).
But when the Graphics card is inserted BIOS shows 11.808V
and when the Graphics card is not inserted BIOS shows 12.024V

Is it a PSU fault or Mobo doesn't read the correct voltages so it doesn't boot?
Or both?

Last edited:

Diagrafeas

Jun 24, 2005
I can't believe it.
Same solution for both problems.
When i disabled ErP from BIOS the PC seems to boot with every BIOS.
Also in combination with disabling onboard audio X-Fi is recognized and not lost.
Go figure...hope it lasts...

Diagrafeas

Jun 24, 2005
Nah happened again...
But i really think that it is ErP issue, so maybe i have to change PSU to one that supports ErP Lot 6 2013...

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Do you have these cards that aren't working in the PC when you are flashing the BIOS? Could be messing things up.

Diagrafeas

Jun 24, 2005
Yes i have them.

Anyway i found out that the PC couldn't boot with two DIMMs...
But why it didn't happen at the beginning?
And is this considered Motherboard or RAM issue?
Anyway i'll wait until new revision Z87 motherboards ship and i will ask them to replace my motherboard, or change with a better one.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yes i have them.

Anyway i found out that the PC couldn't boot with two DIMMs...
But why it didn't happen at the beginning?
And is this considered Motherboard or RAM issue?
Anyway i'll wait until new revision Z87 motherboards ship and i will ask them to replace my motherboard, or change with a better one.

Have you looked at the Memory support list for that board? I wonder if your Crucial sticks are included. The new revision will be nice with the "bug" fixes, but I don't know that I would expect better memory compatibility. (if it is needed).

Also, have you tried flashing with no PCI cards on the board?

Diagrafeas

Jun 24, 2005
The motherboard doesn't boot when two DIMMs are installed.
Single Channel or Dual Channel; doesn't matter...
XMP Profile or not doesn't matter...
1600MHz or 1333MHz doesn't matter...
Even voltage 1.5V up to 1.6V(i also tried 1.54 , 1.56, 1.58) doesn't matter...
With one DIMM either one (and even XMP) and every slot used it boots OK.

Nec_V20

May 7, 2013
Here's what Crucial says http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4046:

I'm confused! Is Ballistix or Crucial standard the right memory for me?
Is Ballistix memory right for me?

Because the Ballistix product line was designed to run at speeds above and beyond industry standard specifications, Ballistix is not for the mainstream computer user. The Ballistix product line was developed specifically for gamers and power users who are trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of their systems.

If you're a casual computer user, sending e-mail, surfing the Web, or downloading photos from your digital camera, then Ballistix probably isn't the product match for your needs. The Crucial standard line is likely the right memory for you.

To unleash the full potential of Ballistix memory, systems may require some additional tuning or adjustments by the user. If you are a system builder, system tweaker, or early adopter, Ballistix memory is right for you.

For the majority of customers, Crucial memory is an appropriate DRAM choice. Like Ballistix, Crucial DRAM is premium quality, tested, and qualified; it does not have the aesthetic features and technical specifications sought by gamers and other high-end users.

However, those basic home systems can benefit from Crucial Ballistix memory without any additional tuning. While users won't experience the potential speed and response time improvements that come with those manual adjustments, there are some advantages to upgrading with performance memory. Crucial Ballistix memory is hand-selected by the Crucial Compatibility Lab to meet specific requirements, so users enjoy greater heat-reduction qualities and stability. This is especially significant in systems used for high-demand applications.

Please refer to your system manual before any manual adjustments.

Translation, if it works in your system then great, if not then tough titty

junaidk

Aug 21, 2013
I am having the same problem when i flashed F6. After flashing PC just tried to boot but it kept getting powering off and restarting and after 5 or 6 restarts i could only see boot logo and none of the keys worked and bam a restart after 10-15 seconds... my mobo came with F4. I somehow managed to clr cmos and after 3 or 4 fail tries to boot PC booted successfully but I didn't see any boot image or boot screen or windows loading screen. It just got to the login and it just behaved like this for 3 restarts and then i again flashed F6 to see if the problem was resolved and now I cant even see the boot logo or anything and PC keeps powering off and restarting..

i5-4670k
GIGABYTE GA-Z87-HD3
Nvidia GT220 (carried over from my old PC. Pending for upgrade. :|)
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4G 1600mhz
Corsair 550W Extreme Power PSU(bought from friend and he was running his i5-3550, Asus P8Z77 V-LK, 7870XT, 8GB, 1TB and 3TB HDD on it without any issues)

So i dont think its PSU problem.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I am having the same problem when i flashed F6. After flashing PC just tried to boot but it kept getting powering off and restarting and after 5 or 6 restarts i could only see boot logo and none of the keys worked and bam a restart after 10-15 seconds... my mobo came with F4. I somehow managed to clr cmos and after 3 or 4 fail tries to boot PC booted successfully but I didn't see any boot image or boot screen or windows loading screen. It just got to the login and it just behaved like this for 3 restarts and then i again flashed F6 to see if the problem was resolved and now I cant even see the boot logo or anything and PC keeps powering off and restarting..

i5-4670k
GIGABYTE GA-Z87-HD3
Nvidia GT220 (carried over from my old PC. Pending for upgrade. :|)
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4G 1600mhz
Corsair 550W Extreme Power PSU(bought from friend and he was running his i5-3550, Asus P8Z77 V-LK, 7870XT, 8GB, 1TB and 3TB HDD on it without any issues)

So i dont think its PSU problem.

My Gigabyte board in sig gave me the same symptoms as you a couple of times when switching uEFI versions.

I've been able to get back into the uEFI and reset the settings to defaults which seems to take care of it most of the time.

Blank screen boot loop > power off by switch, wait about 10 seconds, power back on. If boots go into uEFI and load defaults and reboot.

Blank screen seems like lights are on and nobody's home > Double reset(case button) sometimes works, sometimes takes a couple tries.

Almost seems like the uEFI needs a little time to settle in....Not sure if it's even possible. Guess maybe it could change configuration settings with additional reboots.

Nec_V20

May 7, 2013
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
CPU: i7-4770k
PSU: Corsair AX860
RAM: Patriot Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Viper 3 Black Mamba CL9

I don't even have the faintest whisper of a problem. The only "Extreme Power" PSU I could find was from CoolerMaster, I have never heard of one from Corsair.

Why the hell people cheap out on PSUs is beyond me. If you look around then you can get a good deal on a good one. For instance I got the AX860 for $189 which is a pittance compared to the price of other components in the PC.

It doesn't matter if an i5-3550 ran on the PSU, Haswell is a new generation and it makes somewhat more demands on a PSU than previous generations.

The new Gigabyte Haswell boards have to be upgraded to the latest BIOS.

Do not however use the Windows @BIOS tool because I found out the hard way that it doesn't do what it is supposed to.

Diagrafeas

Jun 24, 2005
I removed all devices from motherboard and with one DIMM i flashed BIOS outside windows.
I then enabled XMP Profile turn off, installed 2nd DIMM, turn off, installed one by one USB, SATA, PCI, PCIE devices...turn off PC between each change.

Everything worked.

Then i decided to make changes in the BIOS.
I made all changes at once and it didn't boot.
Removed one DIMM, booted, restore defaults, installed two DIMMS again, and started making changes in the BIOS one by one with a shutdown in between.
Everything works OK!
(Why it boots when you remove one DIMM is beyond my understanding.)

I believe that there are some changes in the BIOS that require the motherboard to turn off to take effect and others that require a simple restart.
When you make all changes at once it doesn't turn off,it restarts and hangs...

Anyway that solves the RAM problem...

Now to solve the PCI sound card one...

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Do not however use the Windows @BIOS tool because I found out the hard way that it doesn't do what it is supposed to.

I wouldn't say that. I saw your other thread, and Gigabyte has the dual BIOS in the event something does go wrong, but I have used the utility several times on several different boards, and I have seen other posters use it as well, without issue.

Nec_V20

May 7, 2013
I wouldn't say that. I saw your other thread, and Gigabyte has the dual BIOS in the event something does go wrong, but I have used the utility several times on several different boards, and I have seen other posters use it as well, without issue.

I agree with you, before this motherboard (the UD5H) @BIOS had always worked like a charm on other Gigabyte boards.

As you saw on the other thread, I managed to get the problem with the corrupted BIOS resolved, not however the issue with @BIOS.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I removed all devices from motherboard and with one DIMM i flashed BIOS outside windows.
I then enabled XMP Profile turn off, installed 2nd DIMM, turn off, installed one by one USB, SATA, PCI, PCIE devices...turn off PC between each change.

Everything worked.

Then i decided to make changes in the BIOS.
I made all changes at once and it didn't boot.
Removed one DIMM, booted, restore defaults, installed two DIMMS again, and started making changes in the BIOS one by one with a shutdown in between.
Everything works OK!
(Why it boots when you remove one DIMM is beyond my understanding.)

I believe that there are some changes in the BIOS that require the motherboard to turn off to take effect and others that require a simple restart.
When you make all changes at once it doesn't turn off,it restarts and hangs...

Anyway that solves the RAM problem...

Now to solve the PCI sound card one...

Tread lightly in uEFI is the secret workaround in currently whacky uEFI.

My boards on F8 already. Looks to need another rev or two but is fully functional for the most part. l

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Tread lightly in uEFI is the secret workaround in currently whacky uEFI.

My boards on F8 already. Looks to need another rev or two but is fully functional for the most part. l

I know that my board has offered a couple uEFI BIOSes so far. After reading about others' experiences with the upgrade, along with the lack of issues with mine, I think I'll stay old school for now.

techtonykos

Jan 22, 2014
do you keen having problems after installing the latest beta bios (F7D)? I am currrently using the F4 version and I have only managed boot to a relatively stable state only by using one dimm at ddr3@1066MHz...

Last edited:

techtonykos

Jan 22, 2014
hey, guys. i installed a second dimm and i seem to be fine running my 2GB (2X1GB) of ddr3 with 1.5V at 1066Mhz (using F4 bios version)