Gigabyte X99P SLI and Broadwell-E support....what the hell?

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I just bought the board alongside 6850k. Next week going to put it all together, cause of some work i have to do over this weekend on the old machine...

anyway i was reading some things around in preparation yesterday and found out, the mobo might not support BW-E cpus out of the box, flashing of the BIOS may be neccessary. BUT, you got to have working CPU installed in the mobo to be able to flash - in this case one of the Haswell-E line-up.... obviously, if it comes to that (which seems very likely, as my board has serial number starting with 15, implying its manufacturing date to be 2015, thus boasting older version of BIOS - well, naturally), i am screwed, as i dont have any Haswell CPUs lying around.... and know only one person to have one, 5960x actually, but i dont want him to ask to borrow it to me and have his machine temporarily dissasembled in the process just to do it....

This is pretty disheartening. I cant believe it can be actually true. Is this normal thing? I thought you can flash BIOS without CPU installed? Massive mistake in GB´s part.

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015
My new motherboard from MSI has Bios Flashback+ connect the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors, put a USB memory stick in the dedicated USB 2.0 port (which you can use normally later). Press the Flashback+ button on the motherboard and the motherboard lights up and flashes the bios.

Nothing like that on there?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
This might be anecdotal evidence, but out-of-box support isn't as important as it used to be.

I can give two fairly recent examples;
First, an Asrock board I recently purchased for an Athlon 845 box, didn't support Carrizo out-of-box either. Needed 1.30 for Carizzo, shipped was 1.20. But it still allowed access to the BIOS/UEFI for flashing to a newer version.
Second, was my old 920 system. The board I had purchased didn't have support for the D0 stepping CPUs. It popped up a warning something like "unsupported CPU detected, please update BIOS", but still allowed access to the BIOS for flashing.

But no guarantees of course.