Gigabyte vs Asus Radeon 4870?

jamie8dc

Dec 27, 2008
I'm about to build my own PC and I've got most of the components together, but just decided to go with a Radeon HD 4870 as opposed to the 4850 because I was under my price cap. Well, I've found an Asus and a Gigabyte, and as far as I understand it, both of these are reliable manufacturers. Well what I'm confused about is why the Gigabyte is $75 cheaper (after the mail-in rebates) than the Asus one? Not only that, but the Gigabyte comes with a free $40 gaming mouse. Am I missing something, or is the Gigabyte just a much better deal? Am I sacrificing quality if I go with the cheaper Gigabyte?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Gigabyte and Asus are both generally quality brands. It looks like these both use the same reference PCB anyways also. Looks like a good deal to me.

jamie8dc

Dec 27, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply! And very sorry admins, I just noticed this section is called "CPU and Overclocking," not "GPU and Overclocking. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum!

Thanks again though

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
even though i have many asus products, i bought a 3850 from them and it was bad. i tried to return it to them but had to jump through so many hoops it was crazy, so i took the newegg hit and returned it to them.

up until then they were = but now i favor gigabyte based strictly on customer service.