Gigabyte RMA woes

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
UPDATE 11/2/14: The Australian rep said he would contact a rep over at the USA RMA department. A week went by and no response so I PM'd him. I got busy and another week went by to today with no response. Great.

OP:
So I've heard about ASUS RMA, but now I'm having issues with Gigabyte.

My Gigabyte 7970 died out of the blue, I RMA'ed on 09/09/14. They got me everything I needed and it was shipped out on 15/09/14. After almost 2 weeks since the original RMA I got it back on 26/09/14. Dead.
At this point I give them benefit of the doubt. I mean, sure they sent me a dead card, sure it took 3 weeks, sure it's the same card that I sent off just with a BIOS flash or something, but that's how companies work. I get that. (That's a little bit of sarcasm, little bit not.)

I contact them about an ARMA or something like that on 06/10/14. No response for a week. I send another one on 12/10/14 and I get a response asking for my original RMA#. I send it and I've gotten nothing since then. It's been 4-5 days now with nothing.

I understand that sometimes something goes wrong with RMAs, but I'd at least like to know what is going on. *sigh*

Moved from OT per OP's request.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited:

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
In Alabama, you write the month, then the day, then the year. Putz.

But yea, that's how it goes. After the first failed RMA you will actually get something that works. If I ever have an RMA, I never expect to get something working back the first time.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
In Alabama, you write the month, then the day, then the year. Putz.

But yea, that's how it goes. After the first failed RMA you will actually get something that works. If I ever have an RMA, I never expect to get something working back the first time.
Right, but I haven't been able to get a response from them. Even saying "screw you, go to the regular RMA" would make sense. I use this PC a lot, I'd prefer maximum uptime. I might surrender my hopes of an advanced RMA and go quietly into the 3 weeks of no contact then a tracking# randomly showing up in my email.

If I feel like writing today 17/10/14 then I dang well will!

EDIT: Since their "Customer service" email doesn't do jack, I was looking for a rep. The only one I can find is Atom80 over on OverclockersUK. I doubt he can help. Do we have company reps here?

Last edited:

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
You might get more of a response if this was posted in General Hardware or VC&G.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Eh, I didn't really want to mess with the hardware side of things over there. If this belongs there a mod moving this would be great.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Muchos gracias for the move. I actually found gigabytes "official" forums over at tweaktown after a rep over at the official UK forums sent me there. However, the founder of tweaktown banned RMA discussion.
3dpCoxN.png

I've also not been able to contact a rep (atom80) over at overclockers.co.uk as I've been denied an account. :confused:

The only other, contactable rep I know of is an Australian rep over at overlock.net and he doesn't seem to be online that often. I've honestly never seen reps this spread out. There are a good many that haven't been online in months or even over a year. It's like working at Gigabyte drops you off the earth. :p

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Reads like somebody bungled the RMA. Keep at it, and try to be a polite ass.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I try to always be firm, and I do want my way. I was sent a broken card. Hoping for an advance RMA. If they mess it up again I would request a new r9 280x instead of a 7970. I always feel bad for the random rep I'm working with because it isn't their fault.

Someone brought up twitter. They've got a GPU and a mobo account for the US I think.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I've actually been able to contact a rep over at overclock.net. Things are looking up!

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I haven't had to RMA anything gigabyte and it's rare when anyone complains about them so I'd guess you'll get it sorted out. Asus on the other hand is the Comcast of gpu rmas and lies and sends the same stuff back etc. it's a completely different experience and not a good one. Never again.

Good luck I guess that rep will make it happen now.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Well, the guy was Australian so he said he would forward my email to a rep in the US. It's been almost a week with nothing. So either he lied and didn't forward it or the Gigabyte reps here in the US should go work at Sonic Team. Ugh.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Turns out I did, but it got buried. Whoops. :ninja:

I'll probably end up calling that # if I can't get a response from this rep. He seemed like a trustable guy.

Telephone is always quicker than e-mail (and easier to judge attitudes) ;)

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
The Australian rep said he would contact a rep over at the USA RMA department. A week went by and no response so I PM'd him. I got busy and another week went by to today with no response. Great. I guess I'l be calling. I'm tempted to just ship it out. This has gone on so long I could've gotten two RMA's done. Either way, if it comes back broken again I'm not going to be happy. It failed 2 months ago. My games are so sad to look at at minimum settings. :p

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Well, gigabyte has had it for a few days now. They said they ran out of 7970s so the 280x model should be what I'm getting back. 1000Mhz vs 1100Mhz isn't bad. ;) We'll see what happens.