Rant Gigabyte, I'm calling you out! Day 253 and counting of RMA fiasco.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
That's right. It's been 253 days since you received my RMA and I'm still down two video cards.

Email requests for updates don't get replied to. Do they even get read?

Your phone number for your USA RMA center never seems to be in service despite the automated message saying it's open from 8:30AM-5:30PM Pacific.

I have yet to speak to a human being.

Gigabyte, I'm calling you out!

DAY 253

Update:
Gigabyte responded and is supposedly processing replacement (finally). Will update when I actually physically received the cards. Or have to harass them further.

Gigabyte Day 244.PNG

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That sucks ... I've had issues along those lines with Asus but the few times I've had to do an RMA with Gigabyte things have gone smoothly far as I recall. To be fair the last time was around 10 years ago.

Is the above website actually Gigabyte directly or is it a third-party RMA processor like Sapphire, HIS, Power-Color etc uses?

I ask because when Asus lost a couple expensive (at the time) NForce-2 motherboards I had in RMA I ultimately ended up having to call every unrelated Asus office in California and be a super-polite pain in the ass multiple times.

I continued doing this until somebody along the line got sick and tired of hearing my voice and fixed things ... it didn't take long! BUT if it's not actually Gigabyte itself causing the problem this may not be helpful.

Also during a global pandemic YMMV. ;)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
dude, I've actually been trying to call a healthcare provider to pay unpaid premium bills on a plan that I don't even have any more...which I have these bills for but their system won't even allow them to take payments from me, for this purpose, for some reason. I can't pay it online (service isn't available to me--don't know why; it used to be), ...and it also takes like an hour waiting for each one of those phonecalls to try and make it happen. The only phone number they give me goes to 3 different services then always forwards me back to the same one, that never will take my payment, lol.

And that's been going on for 3 months.

I think a lot of services and industries are just screwed with ...inventory, service, bureaucratic delays this last year. I don't even get it.

Reactions: BudAshes

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
dude, I've actually been trying to call a healthcare provider to pay unpaid premium bills on a plan that I don't even have any more...which I have these bills for but their system won't even allow them to take payments from me, for this purpose, for some reason. I can't pay it online (service isn't available to me--don't know why; it used to be), ...and it also takes like an hour waiting for each one of those phonecalls to try and make it happen. The only phone number they give me goes to 3 different services then always forwards me back to the same one, that never will take my payment, lol.

And that's been going on for 3 months.

I think a lot of services and industries are just screwed with ...inventory, service, bureaucratic delays this last year. I don't even get it.

Yeah I think the problem with a lot of big companies CS right now is that they simply don't have the bodies to deal with it maybe? Either that or the staff working from home just can't keep up.

I had a issue involving a price-match with Google Fi which under normal circumstances would have taken a single 5 minute chat session to resolve but I ended up back and forth with a bunch of different reps via email for 2 weeks. Very frustrating.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
This is why i try hard to buy eVGA.
I wish they made ryzen boards tho.... I would so pick up a X570 FTW3 edition without thinking twice even at 400 dollars if they made them.

Reactions: Ajay and Captante

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, that's pretty bad (even with Covid issues/delays).

I used to be a big Gigabyte user for the first 15 years or so of building my own computers, but after dealing with some junk Z77 motherboards that were notoriously bad (design/manufacturing issue), I stopped buying their stuff.

I still think they design some nice boards, but their software support side is apparently outsourced to people outside of their company, and it was pretty bad (even by motherboard manufacturer standards). We've had a few users sign up here just their bad experiences with their RMA department, so it appears what they claimed does happen based on your experience as well. 244 days is simply way too long, and there's no excuse they could provide that would justify their inaction for that amount of time.

Edit: I also remember on the brand-new users point out that they have a F rating a the BBB: https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/city-of-i...ter-parts/gigabyte-technologies-1216-13136347

You might need to file a case with the BBB, has it might help you to get Gigabyte to even respond the case, so you can get some information on what their issue is with their very long RMA process, and what it will take for them to honor the warranty buy sending you your fixed cards.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
That's right. It's been 244 days since you received my RMA and I'm still down two video cards.

Email requests for updates don't get replied to. Do they even get read?

Your phone number for your USA RMA center never seems to be in service despite the automated message saying it's open from 8:30AM-5:30PM Pacific.

I have yet to speak to a human being.

Gigabyte, I'm calling you out!

DAY ONE

View attachment 38122

I'm sure you will get your cards back eventually, at least once the miners who they probably scalped your replacements to are through with them.

There are no words in the English language sufficient to describe the sucktasticness that is Gigabyte support.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I've heard nothing but bad things about Giga. Reports of faulty video cards that get sent out to RMA only to be returned to their owner sans repairs citing "user damage" that never happened.

Reactions: Pohemi

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
My experience with an EVGA warranty rma made me a customer for life, or at least until they unearn my trust.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
dude, I've actually been trying to call a healthcare provider to pay unpaid premium bills on a plan that I don't even have any more...which I have these bills for but their system won't even allow them to take payments from me, for this purpose, for some reason. I can't pay it online (service isn't available to me--don't know why; it used to be), ...and it also takes like an hour waiting for each one of those phonecalls to try and make it happen.

Off topic but it's funny you mentioned having a hard time paying for something.

We hired a landscaper back in May. He charged me $250 to do an initial cleanup of the yard, and his guys have come every week after. We're supposed to pay him monthly, and he does the yard across the street from us. We have yet to receive an invoice, and I've contacted him at least once a month since June to ask for an address or invoice so we can pay him. I've even asked his workers in the event I'm home while they're working on the yard, and they barely speak english.

Nov 8, 2012
I haven't RMA'd shit in...forever. At least not the last 10 years I want to say.

But regardless, when it comes to delays like that, call them every week. Annoy the shit out of them constantly. It's the only way.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Anecdotal, but... the customer support and (lack of) RMA process soured me on Gigabyte literally decades ago, and I've avoided their products ever since.

Nvidia nForce3 chipsets were buggy...on ALL the first gen boards for the initial AMD64 offerings, around...2001 or 2002ish?
Okay...understandable, as they were bad chipsets. A LOT of companies took hits on that particular generation of motherboards, as most had numerous RMAs if not flatout recalls on the models.

Gigabyte refused to stand behind theirs, and I ended up eating the $200 cost for my Gigabyte board.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
One week later, still no response.

I'll try their phone again today.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I actually spoke to someone on the phone, so I'll consider that progress.

I guess repair or replacement is out of the question, as they seem to be moving towards trying to refund me.

That in itself might be a problem since I bought the cards second-hand via eBay, and I doubt they'll accept my invoice I sent in.

Supposedly the CSR will talk to their manager and update me by EoD. We'll see...

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Hmmmm... Are you really trying to RMA cards that you bought second-hand on ebay? That seems to me like quite a lot to expect from the manufacturer. 😳

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Hmmmm... Are you really trying to RMA cards that you bought second-hand on ebay? That seems to me like quite a lot to expect from the manufacturer. 😳

Transferrable warranty, validated with S/N check per their own warranty terms. It was a selling point for that card/model. I paid extra for it. Few manufacturers except eVGA now offer that explicitly for any new cards.

Given that both cards developed the same issue and others with the same model report it, it's a design defect. The cards were clocked to the absolute razor edge of stability. They were fine for the first couple of years of their lifespan but slowly started crashing more and more until they crashed on *any* 3D load. That particular model was the highest-binned GTX 1070 IIRC. Underclocking the GPU core prevents the crash...