Gigabyte GTX 470 crapped out, looking for an updated recommendation.

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
Hi everyone,

My Gigabyte GTX 470 OC, finally died.
One thing I DON'T want is another card from Gigabyte, towards the end of my warranty I sent the card in for repair, they sent it back with the same problem. I contacted them and mailed it in again and they replaced it. One week out of warranty it started doing the same thing, overheating to 90c to around 100c fan would go crazy and my computer would lock up and freeze while playing games. Not even intense games! They told me they wouldn't replace it out of warranty, which to me is ridiculous since I'm still close to when it ended and it's a replacement card. I did some Googling and it seems that this card was just poorly designed, I saw posts from others with similar problems. Very disappointing for a card I paid $400 for, :(

I'd like to have a better performing card (just a step up would be nice) and stay under $200 if possible. I want to stick with Nvidia. Ideally it'd be nice to have something that runs cooler and is less power hungry and definitely has a better warranty.

Hopefully I'm being realistic, hahaha.

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
I think any current-gen card, by definition, will be less power hungry and therefore run cooler; so far so good. Perusing Newegg there aren't a whole lot of options below $200. You could go for something like a 2GB GTX 660 for ~180, or if possible spend $250 on a 760 instead. Of course AMD also have some offerings, but if you're adamant about sticking with nVidia, i think the two I've mentioned are it.
Of course it always helps knowing which games you play, and especially at which resolution?

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
I think any current-gen card, by definition, will be less power hungry and therefore run cooler; so far so good. Perusing Newegg there aren't a whole lot of options below $200. You could go for something like a 2GB GTX 660 for ~180, or if possible spend $250 on a 760 instead. Of course AMD also have some offerings, but if you're adamant about sticking with nVidia, i think the two I've mentioned are it.
Of course it always helps knowing which games you play, and especially at which resolution?

Everything I play is at 1080p, I have my computer hooked up to an old Samsung LCD TV.

I guess nothing I've been playing lately is that intense, Payday 2, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM, Fallout 3, Batman Arkham City, And Total Ware:Empire and Shogun 2

It's only been recently that I've had more time to game, I always buy my games on sale. Honestly, I have no clue as to what the most demanding game is.

If you order today, there is a Asus Gtx 660 going for $180 with a promo code on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121660

Thanks, I'll check that out.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
I'd spend the extra cash for a 760. MSI gaming edition to be exact. Gtx 470 to gtx 660 isn't a huge upgrade.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
At stock is probably 50%? Not bad considering it uses probably half the power.

If the 470 was OC'ed it will cut fairly deeply into that depending on how far you had it overclocked.

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
I'd spend the extra cash for a 760. MSI gaming edition to be exact. Gtx 470 to gtx 660 isn't a huge upgrade.

Do you mean this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127745

At stock is probably 50%? Not bad considering it uses probably half the power.

If the 470 was OC'ed it will cut fairly deeply into that depending on how far you had it overclocked.

Yes, it was factory OC'ed. And it would get LOUD towards the end of it's life.
My original card was this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125338

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Would have to agree with the others about going with the 760, my recommendation for the 660 was purely based on if the Op had a strict $200 or less budget but if he has more to work with then by all means go with the 760.

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
Would have to agree with the others about going with the 760, my recommendation for the 660 was purely based on if the Op had a strict $200 or less budget but if he has more to work with then by all means go with the 760.

I should have been clear that I was a little flexible.
Are there any specific GTX 760 cards that you guys recommend?
(Other than Gigabyte)

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Evga is hard to beat, never had a issue with a Evga card period and i have bought quite a few going back to 2007.This Zotac 770 in my sig is the first non Evga nvidia card i have bought since BFG back in 2006 with a 7800gs agp and i only got this 770 cause of the price at the time and a strict budget.:)

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hi everyone,

My Gigabyte GTX 470 OC, finally died.
One thing I DON'T want is another card from Gigabyte, towards the end of my warranty I sent the card in for repair, they sent it back with the same problem. I contacted them and mailed it in again and they replaced it. One week out of warranty it started doing the same thing, overheating to 90c to around 100c fan would go crazy and my computer would lock up and freeze while playing games. Not even intense games! They told me they wouldn't replace it out of warranty, which to me is ridiculous since I'm still close to when it ended and it's a replacement card. I did some Googling and it seems that this card was just poorly designed, I saw posts from others with similar problems. Very disappointing for a card I paid $400 for, :(

I'd like to have a better performing card (just a step up would be nice) and stay under $200 if possible. I want to stick with Nvidia. Ideally it'd be nice to have something that runs cooler and is less power hungry and definitely has a better warranty.

Hopefully I'm being realistic, hahaha.
If you're in the US and you paid with a credit card, try filing an extended warranty claim with the credit card company. Many/most of them give up to one year of extended warranty. They might end up refunding the purchase price. If they pay to get it repaired, you can just ebay the replacement and move on.

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
You sound like a guy who needs an lifetime warranty. Stick to Evga then.

I didn't purchase the last card with a credit card, but I did with this one! Mastercard double warranty, sweeeet. Thanks to each and every one of you for your help and advice.

:)