Gigabyte GA-X399 GAMING 7 M.2 Raid O Bootable

barbary

Apr 11, 2000
Hello,

I am trying to buy a system from www.overclockers.co.uk using the Gigabyte GA-X399 GAMING 7 AMD X399 (Socket TR4) ATX Motherboard and I asked them to do 2 Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe in Raid 0 as a bootable drive.

They have just come back to me and said they can't get it to work.

"I've spoken with our build manager regarding the RAID 0 issue with your machine, the issue is that they simply cannot find a compatible driver for the RAID controller which is preventing the installation of Windows.
If you send over the links for the content you've found enabling bootable RAID 0 support we'll certainly see what else we can do. "

Is it the opinion of people on this forum that this should be possible? To start with I really just want a yes or no.

After that any help would be awesome.

Thanks

barbary

Apr 11, 2000
So it appears that yes it is possible but No it doesn't work. See below the official response.

"Following on from what was discussed yesterday we have managed to find a fix for bootable NVME Raid 0 on the X399 platform, However how long this will work for, we are unable to Guarantee as explained in more detail below;

As it stands there is only one version of the raid drivers that works (rcbottom, rccfg, rcraid, DriverVer=09/20/2017,9.0.0.00088). Other versions either do not allow windows install or when updated to in windows, bricks the install on reboot giving INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE bluescreen. This can not be easily fixed without starting over and re-installing from scratch.

The AMD Raid utility RAIDXpert2 will automatically update the drivers when you install it. It is vital that they are rolled back to the known working versions before rebooting. This needs to be done manually in device manager.

The solution is as follows;

Install windows by loading the working drivers (rcbottom, rccfg, rcraid, DriverVer=09/20/2017,9.0.0.00088)

Once in windows, install the latest version of RAIDXpert2 and Chipset Drivers.

Manually roll back the raid drivers in device manager for the following items in Device manager: AMD-RAID Bottom Device, AMD-RAID Controller [storport], AMD-RAID Config Device, AMD Raid SCSI.

Once complete, you will be able to reboot without encountering errors.

In conclusion, It does work, however I do not recommend using RAID 0 as your primary bootable device as if the drivers get updated either by mistake or windows update changes them then the operating system will brick on reboot and not be recoverable. "

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Just because it is a computer does not mean it will do everything its owner wants it to.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would either stick with 2 separate NVMe drives, or try doing the work around and hope for the best if you really need Raid 0.