Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 - any problem from size?

nine9s

May 24, 2010
The card is almost 12 inches long with a a very large heat sink and full backplate.

I have a Coolermaster HAF X. I takes up to 13.5 in VGA card. SO I should be fine, although I do not like the idea of it hanging over my drive input cables slots as it will.

Does the size imply a material higher weight for the card? Could its weight damage the PCI slot? Any other problems with its large size?

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
The backplate helps prevent sagging PCB and as long as you screw in the bracket I wouldn't expect any problems. The only real issue is clearance which you won't have problems with. I have the same case waiting for my next build.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
I'll hijack this thread as I've got two of the cheaper Windforce models on order.

I currently have 2x ASUS GTX 770 DCII in SLI but was worried if the Gigabyte GTX 970 will be too cramped with my current board as they are slightly taller (< 4 cm vs 4.3cm) and I can't move them further away from each other. I measured that there would be roughly a 2 cm (0.78 inch) gap between the cards when put in the case. Do you think this will be way too tight especially with a non-reference cooler?

I have a side fan directly pointed at the cards and with the Gigabytes I'll have to remove the hard drive cage which means a front fan will blow in between the cards as well.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
I received my GTX 970 Windforce 3X OC cards. They fit into my Fractal Define R3 case perfectly fine, no problems with length. On the G1 the backplate apparently causes some issues with this case. So I think the measurements on Gigabyte's site are for the whole card including back panel etc. It's still a big card but not unmanageable.

No problems fitting two cards in SLI either.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
It still sags a little bit with the backplate fyi. It didn't cause any problem in my Define R4, but I had to insert small rubber spacers after I moved the card in an ITX enclosure with the end of the card touching a bottom fan.

NSfh66l.jpg

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
It still sags a little bit with the backplate fyi. It didn't cause any problem in my Define R4, but I had to insert small rubber spacers after I moved the card in an ITX enclosure with the end of the card touching a bottom fan.

NSfh66l.jpg

Can you please tell me what case that is in your picture?

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002
To answer the OP in more details: the G1 is a long card, but is relatively light. My Sapphire HD6970 is by far heavier and didnt seem to sag (not that I could tell in my R4). It is not sagging due to the weight or length, but due to tension from the frame assembly pressed against the heat sink: there are little tabs on the metal frame that give some clearance to the GPU fans so it doesn't sit completely flushed.

I really didnt notice any of that until I put the card in a tighter enclosure where every millimeter matters.

Also, this Define R4 is definitively bigger. This is an Ncase M1 mini ITX enclosure (in the pic).

https://www.ncases.com/

For size comparison:

x6LxeDI.jpg