GIGABYTE BRIX Ultra Compact Mini-PC GB-BSRE-1605 (AMD Ryzen V1605B / Vega 8 / 4C/8T) GigE/BT/HDMI2.0 x4 $274.99 @ Newegg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
56-164-154-08.jpg

GIGABYTE BRIX Ultra Compact Mini-PC GB-BSRE-1605 (AMD Ryzen V1605B / Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics / Gigabit LAN / Bluetooth / WIFI / HDMI / USB 3.2

This Gigabyte Brix unit is the "new hotness" for AMD mini-PCs. Basically, inside this one is equivelent to a 3400G (Although, embedded, and only with Vega 8, not Vega 11). But price-wise, it's not much more than that APU is selling for by itself these days.

Add RAM and SSD (NVMe, I think maybe it has one SATA bay too, not sure) and OS, and then you've got yourself a complete PC.

The other unit on this page, is a 2C/4T Athlon 3000G-equivalent unit, for not much less money. For the price, I'd personally rather have the 4C/8T variant.

Serial ATA1 x SATA 6.0Gb/s
M.21 x M.2 PCIe x4/SATA Mode
1 x M.2 SATA Mode
  • AMD Ryzen Embedded V1605B Quad Cores Processor
  • Integrated Graphics Processor - Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
  • Dual Channel DDR4 2400, 2 x SO-DIMMs, Max 32GB
  • 4 x HDMI ports, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60Hz
  • 2 x GbE LAN ports, Wi-Fi 802.11ac / BT4.2
  • ALC 269 Audio Codec
  • 2 x M.2 for SSD (1 x PCIe/SATA Mode, 1 x SATA Mode)
  • 1 x Mini PCI slot
  • Infineon TPM onboard
  • 4 x USB 2.0 (Front), 2 x USB 3.2 (Back)
  • Headphone/microphone jack
  • Support VESA Mount
  • Onboard headers: 2 x RS232/422/485/5V/12V/RI COM ports; 2 x RS232 COM ports

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nice. Is there room for a pcie card? If so, then these will make a nice router platform as well.
If you look at the pics of the rear of the unit, it actually looks like it has TWO GbE-T ports, so I think that's doable out-of-the-box (pending installation of RAM and storage).

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
That would make a bad butt emulation machine! Especially for a Pinball emulation rig having 4 hdmi ports ;)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I spent the last of my money on a
AtGames Legends Gamer Pro SE Tabletop Arcade

off ebay last night for $125. Its a prebuilt, and I heard it can do pinball emulation, and has some on it, and can get more if I on line the sucker. But if it doesn't seem worth it, I mostly bought it as a stick and ball for my pc/Pi since it has the pinball buttons on it, and you got to have a ball for some old arcade games. If it does not work good as it sits, I guess next month I will need to get my hands on this unit the op Larry posted, and try out some of the many Goodwill monitors I have, then find someone who can cut wood right and case it all up :p

I would post up who/where I got the stick from, for $125 for what it is and does is a KILLER deal, but I think the mod gods would take it down, and slap me around a bit till I am bloody and on the cusp of death, making sure I cannot leave the torcher chamber till I am but a shell of a man, promising I will never post ebay stuff again, and break me into submission :D

But it is the way I am, will not buy $50 shirts/shorts, or over $20 for a game no matter how much it kicks butt, I must resist and wait it out :O This stick was my last piece I was figuring out to put together, but the ball also built into the stick, and pinball buttons, I just had to get it, even if it does gaming out of the box, but mostly if I could hook it right up to a pc or Pi, and use it as just a controller. They are hell high priced, and good luck finding one with a ball, and PB buttons to boot, heck the Chinese sticks are more money, are not licensed, and miss the ball and PB buttons. Hence why I was stoked to come across it, and I must thank shopgoodwill.com last night for it, for I am out of the loop and one came up on their site used for more money, and made me go hmmmm, and look further into this sucker. I may be 50, but I still feel, and act, 15 :p :p :p :O

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The motherboard inside these units is quite versatile, there are a number of I/O ports (including serial ports) that aren't routed to any external connections. (There must be an industrial-chassis versions of these boards, too. Would be interesting to see.)

There does appear to be a mini-PCI(-E?) slot on the board, but it's not called out in the manual at all.

Also, there are two M.2 slots, the main one on the board is NVMe (and SATA?), and the secondary one is SATA-only. Interestingly, it seems that the SATA M.2 is on a daughterboard, off to the side of the main-board, and plugged into the main-board, via a standard SATA cable, and a floppy-style connector for power.

This leads me to believe, that instead of using a SATA M.2 drive, that you could probably shoe-horn a SATA 2.5" SSD under the cover on top of everything, and plug it into the SATA port (both power and data) on the board. But you need an adapter, to go from a floppy-style power, to a SATA power suitable for plugging into a device. I ordered two cables from Newegg, that together should be able to achieve this. I will let you all know when they come in, if I can manage to pull off getting these units to boot off of SATA 2.5" SSD.