Question Gigabyte AORUS 2TB M.2 Gen4 NVMe SSD impressions

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
Hey there. I’ve been keeping an eye on 2TB M.2 SSD prices & deciding between a good value/reliable Gen 3 or Gen 4.

I was set on settling for a Gen 3 as I don’t think I’ll notice the Gen 4 speed benefits for my use case, but I just noticed a Gen 4 Gigabyte model GP-ASM2NE6200TTTD on sale for Australian dollars $369 & was wondering if others here have it & can comment on its performance & whether it’s a decent SSD to entrust with my data!

I have an Aorus Pro AX B550 motherboard with 5600X CPU fyi.

Thanks.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
In other words, I would not touch Gigabyte with a 10 foot pole.
Agreed.

How they handled that whole mess has made me feel exactly the same way towards their products. Instead of minimizing their mistake by accepting responsibility, they dug in their heels and made the situation even worse.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I can sort of understand that, but at most I would simply avoid their PSUs in the future.
It is way worse then that.

Gamer's Nexus paired a gigabyte rtx 3080 with one of those gigabyte power supplies and the GPU was dead in less then a month.

Yea, Gigabyte will RMA their defective power supply, but the rest of the components in said computer? Not their problem. A cold calculated decision on who will bear the cost of their decision to flush those power supplies out of inventory to customers. Gigabyte only has to pay for replacing the power supply, nothing else.

If Gigabyte was willing to do that to their power supply customers, they are willing to do it to any of their customers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the subject of Gigabyte harming its own customers:
If you go to the Newegg page for this SSD:
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-2-tb/p/N82E16820009013
sort reviews by date posted, you will see that 5 out of 10 of the most recent reviews for this drive are 1 star.

On the upside, at least with this item/SSD it does not burn out other components in the computer when it dies young.

This is not a PSU problem, this is a Gigabyte problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If Gigabyte was willing to do that to their power supply customers, they are willing to do it to any of their customers.
As bad as the power supplies were (and they were pretty bad), it was Gigabyte's response was the most abhorrent part of this whole thing.

Just look at their total lack-of-professionalism responses to the various hardware reviewers (such as the "No you" to Hardware Unboxed), and not even wanting the power supplies to be sent back for further analysis, has caused me to lose all confidence in their entire company leadership.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It is way worse then that.

Gamer's Nexus paired a gigabyte rtx 3080 with one of those gigabyte power supplies and the GPU was dead in less then a month.

Don't most PSU OEMs cover components damaged by a faulty PSU?

As for the SSD, Gigabyte isn't normally a brand I would look to anyway. Looks like it has heat problems.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Since Gigabyte claims all the PSU failures are only the result of synthetic testing (conditions that end-users would never see), I could see Gigabyte refusing to accept responsibility for any additional component death/damage.

And unless there is some kind of class-action lawsuit years down the road, most individuals would not have the time or money to fight Gigabyte's lawyers over the issue.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Thing was, Gamer's Nexus could not show the GPU died from the PSU. All they could claim was a gigabyte PSU + gigabyte mainboard + gigabyte GPU resulted in a dead GPU in less then a month.

While they did have a pile of malfunctioning Gigabyte PSUs, it was the gigabyte PSU that was not obviously defective that ended up with a dead GPU.

If they could not conclusively show the dead GPU was do to the PSU, how are the rest of us supposed to?

Last edited:

Ralfi

Aug 26, 2021
Thanks for the info.

Might be a good thing I missed out on the deal then (price rose overnight).

So I might just look at decent value Gen 3 SSDs - I have the Kingston KC2500 & Samsung 970 Evo Plus on my radar. Hope Black Friday (or earlier) sales bring them into my price range.

Last edited: