Gigabyte 7VAXP "Top Performance"

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
I just flashed to the F6 BIOS, and for some reason, when I enable the "top performance" feature, windows won't boot properly. It'll show the boot screen, but then before entering windows, it'll reboot. Anyone know of this problem?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: clicknext
I just flashed to the F6 BIOS, and for some reason, when I enable the "top performance" feature, windows won't boot properly. It'll show the boot screen, but then before entering windows, it'll reboot. Anyone know of this problem?
Yes. Your ram isn't good enough for the aggressive ram settings.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Try a less aggressive option like optimized instead of top performance. You can then adjust the timings that work best with your ram.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Wait a sec... top performance worked before I flashed to the F6 bios. Does this one have more aggressive timings?

How do you adjust the timing? I looked around in the bios and couldn't find it...

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Sometimes a BIOS update can have odd effects.

I am not sure where it is. You could try Frequency/Voltage Control.

I read somewhere that the top performance setting had very aggressive ram timings and they recommended less aggressive timings for stability.

Edit: after further investigation I discovered that the adjustments are accessed using CTRL F1 in the BIOS. These may be available after Top Performance is enabled.