• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Gigabyte 7950 hissing noise at high fps

netarangi

Sep 2, 2012
In some games when I get over 150fps (Mainly in menus etc.) my video card starts making a slight hissing noise.

Help?

sun_tzu

Oct 17, 2012
Diablo does this when I don't set the maximum fps. Almost overheats my computer if I dont turn it down..

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Are you still within warranty? I personally can't tolerate coil whine.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Well all GPU are going to have coil whine if you don't turn vsync on or set a limit
Not all cards have audible coil whine. However I'm finding that a lot of the hd 79XX's do for whatever reason. Doesn't bother me though. A frame cap will definately reduce the noise though.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Fail OP reading.
lol what else is new I don't know why he is allowed to post.

OP set a fps cap should help.

I've also found getting rid of stock coolers and going aftermarket helps, I use to have it on a older 4800 series radeon. Happens mostly at high load high temps, after replacing the cooler I had lower temps at high load and no coil whine.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
lol what else is new I don't know why he is allowed to post.

OP set a fps cap should help.

I've also found getting rid of stock coolers and going aftermarket helps, I use to have it on a older 4800 series radeon. Happens mostly at high load high temps, after replacing the cooler I had lower temps at high load and no coil whine.
I can't find the Ignore function so I have to put up with his not-so-intelligent posts.

Back on topic though, I also have a Gigabyte WF3 7950 and haven't come across this issue. I haven't overclocked it much (<950MHz core) due to the low stock VCore so maybe that's a reason? Are there particular games where this problem tends to rear its head?

Cheers!

ASK THE COMMUNITY