Gigabyte 290(X) (caution)

Feb 19, 2009
There's a review on computerbase.de with this card, it had horrendous temps and the fans had to go full blast to keep it cooled, making as noisy as reference cards.. thats why in the availability thread i warned others to stay away. This is a shoddy example of corporate greed, GB trying to rush to market to take advantage of the high prices for radeons.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/gigabyte-radeon-r9-290x-im-test/4/

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
There's a review on computerbase.de with this card, it had horrendous temps and the fans had to go full blast to keep it cooled, making as noisy as reference cards.. thats why in the availability thread i warned others to stay away. This is a shoddy example of corporate greed, GB trying to rush to market to take advantage of the high prices for radeons.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/gigabyte-radeon-r9-290x-im-test/4/

This is also the computerbase that tested an Asus DC II 290X that hit 95C in uber mode, and also throttled in uber mode? Those guys just attract a lot of bad cards don't they?

Feb 19, 2009
This is also the computerbase that tested an Asus DC II 290X that hit 95C in uber mode, and also throttled in uber mode? Those guys just attract a lot of bad cards don't they?

Haven't seen other review sites ran through the WF R290X.. and XFX DD is already on sale here in AUS, without any review sites testing it. I will wait for proper reviews before biting thats for sure.

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013

Well I guess they were right this time as Gigabyte has halted production of their card.

No smoke without Fire...

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I've never bought a GB video card and this is an example of why not.

So your earlier decision(s) not to buy a Gigabyte card were based on some known fault in the design of the card, and not some other reason like a different brand offering better value? Most Gigabyte cards have nothing wrong with them, I loved my GTX 560 Ti SOC.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
My Gigabyte card is terrible :thumbsup:

Honest mistake?

If they were designing for a PCB that AMD changed, someone obviously messed up not sending that down the R&D pipe...

It's not like they're trying to pass it off on to users now while designing a rev 2 :p

jj109

Dec 17, 2013
From the looks of it, the thermal paste was misaligned. At least it's not as bad as a metal sticker.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Something is not right here. According to Gigabyte, only the media preview cards were faulty. The production cards were fine. So why would production be halted?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25583541&postcount=14
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25583563&postcount=15

Hi All
The problem that was raised only applied to the initial media review samples – NOT the cards that have been supplied to and sold by OcUK. All products available on market are not affected with this problem. This is an error in translation from Tom’s Hardware, and we are in the process of getting this changed.
However if you experience any issue with these cards, please contact GIGABYTE technical support under below link:
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx
Hi Andrew,

HQ have confirmed that the only cards that were affected is 30 pcs of production sample. NO cards that were shipped for resale were affected by this. Tom’s Hardware mis-translated some information, and we are in the process of getting them to change their statement as it is misleading to customers.

If you have specific customers who are having problems with the temperatures on the cards you have sold, please put them in touch with our tech guys so that they can work with them to resolve. Also, if you can get full details of temps they are seeing etc, I will get our guys to escalate immediately for them.
So where is Tom's hearing that production has been stopped?

Feb 19, 2009
Damage is done.

Its gonna take a long while and fresh reviews from reputable sites to undo this mess for Gigabyte.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I guess another sign that retail cards must be tested as well, but that may not always be possible.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I find the retail switching of the cards is frustrating. I'd like to know exactly what has changed and why in comparison to the reviewed cards. I can understand when they revise to improve certain aspects, however I despise when they start skimping on components as some appear to do over time.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Guess we finally solved the mystery as to why only one site published a review of Gigabyte's 290/x AIB cooled cards despite them being the first AIB cooled cards available.

Gotta love the FUD from those with an agenda on this thread though. Thoroughly amusing.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
I find the retail switching of the cards is frustrating. I'd like to know exactly what has changed and why in comparison to the reviewed cards. I can understand when they revise to improve certain aspects, however I despise when they start skimping on components as some appear to do over time.

Some in this case includes Gigabyte's 7950/7970 models where after a while the retail versions had locked voltages (with crazy 1.25V defaults) and they had changed (dropped?) the hardware monitoring chip which meant they no longer were able to show VRM temps, GDDR5 voltages etc. I hate bait and switch.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Gotta love the FUD from those with an agenda on this thread though. Thoroughly amusing.

Care to share the "fud" points or is that just another fud post as well? I'm genuinely curious.

Some in this case includes Gigabyte's 7950/7970 models where after a while the retail versions had locked voltages (with crazy 1.25V defaults) and they had changed (dropped?) the hardware monitoring chip which meant they no longer were able to show VRM temps, GDDR5 voltages etc. I hate bait and switch.

Yeah, the 7950/70 models were extremely annoying to follow. It seems like the same cards had different serial numbers and everyone was reporting in about them for a while. This is precisely the bait and switch (reviews had a different model) I am referring to but I believe it was a number of manufacturers.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Care to share the "fud" points or is that just another fud post as well? I'm genuinely curious.

Guys that said even custom coolers couldn't keep these card's temps in check and didn't even question why the Tri-X cooler wasn't sweating a bit to perform better and quieter.