Gigabit Ethernet and CAT5 cabling

Link19

Apr 22, 2003
I just purchased a Gigabit EThernet switch so I can take advanatge of faster file transfer speeds over my LAN for the PCs I have that have an onboard Gigabit Ethernet controller.

Now, does the cabling have to actually be CAT5E, or will CAT5 work just fine? I am not sure if all the cable I have is CAT5, or CAT5E? How can I tell?

Most of the cabling I have was purchased in Spring of 2000? Would that be CAT5 or CAT5E cable? And if it is CAT5, will it work ok with a Gigabit Ethernet LAN?

Actually, I know my house is wired in CAT5E. However, some of the cable I am using to connect the Gigabit Switch to each room in my house and one Gigabit switch in one room connected to the devices to my switch was purchased in 2000, so I am not sure if it is CAT5E or just CAT5? So, most of the length of my cabling traveling long distances is CAT5E. But some of it I am not sure. However, for all the cabling I am not sure of, it is only traveling at maximum 15 feet and the rest that goes longer distances is definitely CAT5E cable. So would 6 year old cabling traveling only 15 feet or less that wasn't CAT5E be ok for Gigabit Ethernet LAN?

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
The only way to really tell is to look at the sleeving it should say. If not cat5 still supports up to 1000Mbps.

Difference is cat5 has a 100-MHz signal rate and enhanced has a 350MHz signal rate and has less crosstalk

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
For short runs and typical speed LAN transfers, there's probably no difference between cat 5 and 5e. The only way to tell for sure is to test the specific cable and component combinations. But you're very likely to be limited by drive speeds, not cabling quality here (unless it's really bad / damaged of course).

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Ctrackstar126
Difference is cat5 has a 100-MHz signal rate and enhanced has a 350MHz signal rate and has less crosstalk
This is not correct. Cat5e is specified for exactly the same frequency as Cat5 (100 MHz), it just has minor tweaks in some cabling parameters like crosstalk to make sure that it can support gigabit speeds. Cat6 cable is specified to 250 MHz.

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
(Most) Cat5 is rated for 100 MHz.
(Most) Cat5e is rated for 350 MHz.

Both 100BaseTX and 1000BaseT (gigabit) use just 125 MHz.

100BaseT uses just 2 pairs, 1000BaseT uses all 4 pairs and uses more complex signaling. You can probably get by with plain Cat5 for gigabit, but you'll be better off with Cat5e.

Check the cable sleeve, it should have a MHz or Category rating on it.