Giant white box on side of screen

Discussion in 'Technical Forum Issues' started by uclaLabrat, Jan 24, 2013.

1. uclaLabrat

uclaLabrat Diamond Member

Adobe Flash has a giant white box on the right hand side of my screen. Aborting Flash doesn't help, updating flash doesn't help, and it's only with this website. Please advise.

2. uclaLabrat

Ok, so it's the banner ad...but it doesn't stay at the top. Only on right side of screen, can't get rid of it. Doesn't happen in chrome, only firefox.

Seems to have disappeared for the moment, may reappear sometimes.

3. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

I get it too, sometimes it goes away but 90% of the time its there and covering up important text Im trying to read in my PM box, for Im selling stuff. Id like to know why its there and make it go away please too.

4. Dman8777

Dman8777 Senior member

Please Anand make it stop!!! I can't read the end of sentences...

5. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

There's nothing any of us can do until you guys tell us which ad is causing the problem.

6. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

Hard to tell you when it is just one big box with nothing in it ;)

There is no ads on the top when the rectangle is present. Dont know if that will help any, but there is nothing in the box. It is solid white, no x to click on or anything at all to tell you which is causing the problem.

7. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

8. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

When ever there is a ad on top there is no white box. When there is no ad on the top, you get the white box.

9. ViRGE

You'll have to break out the IE dev tools (or Firebug if on Firefox) and see what they turn up. I can't get this ad to come up, so it appears to be targetted at only a subset of the users.

10. uclaLabrat

To me it looks like the coding around the banner might be botched, but I don't know shit about coding. It's on my laptop and my desktop, but it just went away on my desktop. It's more persistent on my laptop.

11. uclaLabrat

Couldn't implement any fixes I could find on the net, but adblock fixes it.

12. ViRGE

It's a bad ad. If we knew what it was (i.e. if you guys would tell us) then we could have it removed.

13. uclaLabrat

If I let the ad go and reload it, it is a german ad about windows server I think. I think the text is "mehrehren" and it talks about cloud storage, all in german.

14. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

Yes it happened to me as I was looking at Anandtech home page. The box actually showed with crap in it. It reads as follows:

MEHR ENFAHREN
    Windows Server 2012
    Inspiriert Vod Der Cloud

15. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

16. ViRGE

The problem is that I also need to know what ad network that's coming from. Knowing the ad itself isn't of much value on its own since it can come from one of several ad networks.

17. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

[​IMG]

It doesnt show you the ad network. It posts this up before the actual ad shows up though.

18. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

[​IMG]

It seems to be associated with that review so you can check it out for yourself. There isnt much more I can do to help out that I can think of. Its just making navigating anandtech forums a very unhappy experience.

19. Sonikku

Sonikku Lifer

I understand that ads are an important part of our society in telling Americans where they should spend their money because they often aren't intelligent enough to know how to spend or where to direct their disposable income on their own. For my part, I already know where to spend my money, ads are just extra unneeded clutter for me and advertisements don't impact my buying choices, so I block them with the Adblock Plus extension. Give it a try if ads are bugging out and looking like an eyesore when poorly coded and aligned, but only if you don't rely upon them for advice on what to spend your money on next.

20. ViRGE

funboy, the problem is that that's a targeted ad. It won't come up for me, it will only come up for you (and whoever else meets whatever criteria is being used). So unless you can use Firefox (or IE's built-in dev tools) to tell me where the ad is coming from, I can't give the ad people enough information to have it removed.

21. ViRGE

:(

How do you expect AnandTech to pay its bills (which you are increasing by consuming bandwidth) if you block the ads?

22. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

Well I really hate to say this but I too may have to use some sort of ad blocker. I cant give anymore info then what I have given. I have no clue how to use/do what youre asking using some tool thingy. I can build computers all day long but when it comes to code, forget it. But it is really annoying, it pops up 90% of the time. When there are no ads on top the block appears, cutting off text that I need to read. Oh well :(

#22 funboy6942, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  23. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Diamond Member

I am using Chrome and have the same crap on my screen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Virge Can you be more specific about these tools that can be used to see where its coming from?

Mine is a German Ad for Windows Cloud Server or something.

#23 FuzzyDunlop, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  24. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Administrator<br>Elite Member<br>Lifer
    Administrator

Just go to the option menu, then tools, then select developer tools and that should pop up a box at the bottom of your browser. It will show all of the elements in your current tab, but in text form which you can copy/paste here (use the "insert code" form).

There is also "Show Source" in the same area which will give even more detailed info, but i believe the "Developer Tools" information should be sufficient. Virge can correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am.

KT

25. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Diamond Member

<embed src="http://ncads.s3.amazonaws.com/german_windows_ad%2FSB_SF_STB_CAV_VM_160x600-V1R1.swf?clickTag=http%3A%2F%2Fad.netcommunities.com%2Fclktrb%3Fid%3D13770" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="160" height="600">

uhhh. did i do it correctly?