Giant sucking sound in healthcare as HMO profit SKYROCKETS!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Its bad!!! Really bad!!! They not only want to drain our pockets, but even willing to KILL us!!! Thats right!!! The latest on the family of pain drugs, that cause stroke and heart attack and more, are making drug companies a lot of $$$. So much so that, they'd rather "US" take the risk and die, before cutting into their profits. A friend of mine was JUST given one of the pain drugs thats being debated in causing deaths. He didn?t know what it was, but I threw a fit when I seen what his doc has given him. I told him I'd rip the doctor another ass if he'd tried that on me. THEN, I read that the drug maker actually pays doctors "per patient" to put patients on these very dangerous and deadly drugs. Some $1600-$2500 goes right to the doctor for EACH one he puts on the drug.
Is your doctor your friend? Or your killer! Would he give his own mother those drugs???

Michael Moore is doing a docu-movie on this RIGHT NOW (in the making). We need to show him our support. He's the ONLY one giving us the truth, warnings and education on this deadly new "we don?t care" attitude from the drug makers. Don?t look to see it reported by fox, or matt and Katie, and surely NOT from our leaders!!!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Michael
DealMonkey - Have you ever worked in Health Insurance or the Healthcare field?

There is a huge flow of cash that will happen. That alone means risk and professional management is needed.

You need to protect privacy.

You need tons of automation because of the high transaction volume.

Someone has to negotiate with doctors, drug benefit providers, hospitals, etc.

It actually is quite complicated.

Michael

Michael, yes I understand all of that. I was boiling it down to the most basic function. Claims in --> Payments Out. And yet my point remains -- that without multiple layers of middlemen profiting in between the patient and the care providers, health insurance coverage would be less expensive. I'd bet if you asked most doctors and health care professionals what they thought of HMOs, PPOs and managed care in general, they would likely agree that it causes more problems than solves them.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: Michael
DealMonkey - Have you ever worked in Health Insurance or the Healthcare field?

There is a huge flow of cash that will happen. That alone means risk and professional management is needed.

You need to protect privacy.

You need tons of automation because of the high transaction volume.

Someone has to negotiate with doctors, drug benefit providers, hospitals, etc.

It actually is quite complicated.

Michael

Michael, yes I understand all of that. I was boiling it down to the most basic function. Claims in --> Payments Out. And yet my point remains -- that without multiple layers of middlemen profiting in between the patient and the care providers, health insurance coverage would be less expensive. I'd bet if you asked most doctors and health care professionals what they thought of HMOs, PPOs and managed care in general, they would likely agree that it causes more problems than solves them.

Part of the problem is that a large portion of claims documentation is still on paper. For what ever reason, the medical industry is really lagging behind the rest of industry in creating electronic data.