• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Giant plane gives Airbus giant headaches 7/17/2006

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Actually if you think about it, there are quite a few markets for the A380.

If you're talking busy routes, there are plenty of routes that fill up 747s each day. I fly SFO to Taiwan a lot, and they run 10 flights per week just on the airline I take. I'm sure United runs at least once a day too, as does China Airlines. When you add it up, that's quite a few 747s. I'm sure that SFO to Tokyo is at least a twice a day operation. LAX is even crazier. I know there are at least 14 flights a week on Eva to Taipei, and I'm sure China Airlines and United run a similar number of flights out.

Forget that there is a demand for flights to Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong and Australia as well as Seoul. Then you add in Atlantic flights, and there's quite a market for A380s, but for those of you that fly domestic a lot, I can see why it makes sense.

It's a risky plan, and there's no guarantee the 787 will win.
so there are a few transpacific routes that can be served by a A380. but the airports have to be modified and only 1 flight can come in afterward in a time that 2 should come in. not to mention that all those flights you've mentioned can probably be flown by just 2 to 4 aircraft. additionally, the plane costs more to fly than the 747-400, not to mention the 787 and the 747-8.

after looking at the number of orders for the A380, and the number of orders for the 787, the A380 has already lost.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS