Ghost Recon

daisychopper

Jan 28, 2009
Hey guys, I need some advice.

A few years back I used to play Ghost Recon, and the expansions (Deserts Something and Island Something) with buddies over LAN.

Instead of using the AI squad, we'd just give ourselves a pool of 9 lives and play the missions through with just the 3 of us.

I'd like to try to find something similar - I guess the bare bones of it would be a "realistic" style FPS (i.e., can't survive more than 1 or 2 hits) that's mission based, that I can play multiplayer. Doesn't even have to have a cohesive story, as long as me and a couple of friends can play through the campaign maps like in the original Ghost Recon. So, not like an Unreal Tournament style game.

I was told you can't do that anymore in the Advance Warfighter series for GR. Can anyone suggest anything like that?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
There's Advance Warfighter I and II. Multiplayer is very similar to original GR. You will need a decent rig to run them. Also from the same developers is Rainbow Six, a tactical squad based gameplay with more of an urban setting. You can play the whole campaign in co-op. You will need tight teamwork to beat many of the missions.

katank

Jul 18, 2008
Seconding above suggestions

You still get dropped pretty fast in coop in advanced warfighter. There's an OGR (original ghost recon) mode also for multiplayer.

Entire Rainbow Six series works well with older ones more similar to GR. Lockdown is probably not your cup of tea though. Infinite lives and I ran around with a nade launcher most of the time. However, Vegas and Vegas 2 allows you to take damage and regen which might also not be what you are looking for.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I was going to recommend Rainbow Six Vegas 2 since I just finished playing it, but apparently campaign co-op is only 2 player.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I remember enjoying the original Ghost Recon more than the R6 series for some reason.

Anyways, I haven't played any of these games myself, but they might be ones to check out and see if they're what you're looking for:
- Operation Flashpoint
- ArmA - Armed Assault (sort of a successor to Operation Flashpoint)
- Full Spectrum Warrior - features squad based tactical combat, but I have a feeling this isn't a FPS in the classical sense. The Army released it as a free download a few months ago.
- America's Army - I assume this is still free, again courtesy of the Army

Stay away from Delta Force: Blackhawk Down, CoD4, etc -- they don't feature realistic damage at all. Battlefield 2 - I'm not sure about...it's sort of midway between arcade-style shooter and realistic shooter.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Full Spectrum Warrior was an excellent game, really enjoyed playing through it. Haven't played the sequel though, FSW: Ten Hammers.