Ghost 15 and Win7 x64 install errors ( buyers beware )

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Yes, I went to online support. I saved our chat to text file. I sent her links to Norton forums, and she asked me "What is this?"..... She really didn't care. I opened it: So, there is no return, no refund. ( Even though their return policy says they would refund on defective product. )

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Try the info at this link (for Ghost 14, should apply to Ghost 15 as well)

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090518143146EN

Also, in some cases, the Antivirus may need to be off to install properly.
And be sure the installer is run with Full (elevated) administrator rights.
Also some have said Ghost and X64 do not work well if you did a migrate
from an older OS to the newer OS

See other link here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Othe...st-15-install-and-uninstall-error/td-p/175340

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Thanks for reply. If you read my post at Norton forum ( link in OP ), you would see that I did look at your links. And, that I was unable to execute the commands due to the automatic 'rollback' the installer performed.

I see no response from anyone on Norton forums. I been waiting patiently over this weekend to the work week to start at Norton to see what someone might have to add to the problem I have.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Also, After some more reading. It seems Symantec is misleading old time users of Ghost ( like me ) who were wanting to buy the DOS based imaging utility.

Apparently, this software is nothing more than a glorified GUI interface for the Win7 built-in backup.

I'm getting mad now.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
If you really want the old DOS ghost, Ghost 2003 works perfectly with windows 7 AMD64.
How do I know? That is what I use for my backups :)

If you can get a copy of systemworks pro 2005, it includes the latest Ghost 2003 (build 793)
The Ghost 2003 Cd and systemworks 2003 or 2004 have the older version (789) that has to be updated through live update archived.

Ghost 2003 was the last DOS Ghost. I haven't tried Ghost 2002 with win7, but keep in mind that Ghost 2002 and older cannot make backup images to NTFS partitions, only FAT32. Ghost 2003 will happily make a backup image to NTFS. Furthermore, Ghost 2003 build 793 has no issues with SATA hard drives, even in AHCI mode.

If the BIOS sees a hard drive, Ghost will see it :)

Alex
PS. It is wildly spread on the web that ghost 2003 doesn't work with vista or windows 7. That is false. The issues seen happen when making an image to a different hard drive without the use of the switch /fdsp to copy the signature bytes. I can explain more if needed.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
If you really want the old DOS ghost, Ghost 2003 works perfectly with windows 7 AMD64.

:D Win7 x64 ( 64 bit OS )

( not Win7 with a AMD64 chip)

Win7 x64 uses a different NTFS file structure that does not work with Ghost 2001.
You are using Ghost2003 on Win7 64bit? Or Ghost2003 with Win7 32bit?

The processor has nothing to do with backup.

If the BIOS sees a hard drive, Ghost will see it

Yes, even my Ghost 2001 sees my HD's. But, it errors out when selecting partitions.

Actually, I also installed Win7 on my other 32bit computer ( Dual boot W2K SP4 / Win7 x32). Ghost 2001 errors out on that system when selecting the Win7 partition also.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Alex
PS. It is wildly spread on the web that ghost 2003 doesn't work with vista or windows 7. That is false. The issues seen happen when making an image to a different hard drive without the use of the switch /fdsp to copy the signature bytes. I can explain more if needed.

I use Ghost 2003 Build 793 off of a bootable USB flash drive. I find it works well. However, I have yet to use it to backup or restore a Vista or Win7 machine. Can you elaborate on the switches necessary to do so? I usually backup partition to image, at least for my multi-boot XP machine.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
:D Win7 x64 ( 64 bit OS )

( not Win7 with a AMD64 chip)

Win7 x64 uses a different NTFS file structure that does not work with Ghost 2001.
You are using Ghost2003 on Win7 64bit? Or Ghost2003 with Win7 32bit?

The processor has nothing to do with backup.

Yes, even my Ghost 2001 sees my HD's. But, it errors out when selecting partitions.

Actually, I also installed Win7 on my other 32bit computer ( Dual boot W2K SP4 / Win7 x32). Ghost 2001 errors out on that system when selecting the Win7 partition also.

The ORIGINAL name of 64 bits extension windows (starting with winXP) was AMD64. They changed it later to the neutral x64... :p

I am using Ghost 2003 to backup and restore windows 7 64 bits. :p

The NTFS structure is virtually the same, the difference is that vista and win7 enforce having the same signature bytes.

And why are you insisting on Ghost 2001? Ghost 2003 is so much better, from speed to compatibility to interfaces that if you really like the DOS Ghost, 2003 is the one to have.

Alex

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I use Ghost 2003 Build 793 off of a bootable USB flash drive. I find it works well. However, I have yet to use it to backup or restore a Vista or Win7 machine. Can you elaborate on the switches necessary to do so? I usually backup partition to image, at least for my multi-boot XP machine.

The switch /fdsp copies the signature bytes of the disk. Tricky part here is, that switch ONLY works in disk to image or disk to disk. The signature bytes, as you know, identify the hard drive. WinXP didn't enforce to have the same signature bytes. Vista and Win7 do :(

If you restore one of your images to the exact same physical hard disk that contained the operating system from where you made the image, the image will work fine without any switches, as the disk signature bytes don't change (same disk) If you restore that image to a different hard drive or partition in a different hard drive (disk change), win7 will fail to boot, asking for the OS media to perform a repair. Booting from the OS media and selecting repair will fix it with no issues at all. It will cost you, however, 5 additional mintues and some dead heart cells for the scare ;)

Ghost 2003 cannot copy the signature bytes of the disk when doing partition to partition / image, so here is the trick. Make a .bat file or .cmd file containing the following lines:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot
bcdedit /set {default} device boot
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot

BEFORE making the image, run the bat or cmd file from within windows, and then turn the machine off. Make your image as normal (partition to image). Those lines basically tell vista / win7 to reset the signature bytes. The image created can be deployed to any hard drive, not just the one used to create the image. That is the intention of a backup image, to be used in case of disaster

Yes, it is an additional step, but you perform a quick clean of the disk before imaging, don't you? You surely can afford the extra 10 seconds to run the script before turning the machine off. Put the script in your bootable USB flash drive.

Anyways, here is my ghost command line:

GHOST.EXE -auto -fro -span -split=1475 -crcignore -fdsp

I know the switch /fdsp doesn't work in partition to image, I just kept in case I need to do a disk to image and forget to run the script. There are copy sector by sector options or copy master boot record options, and I am sure one of those options will work without the script trick, I just haven't tried them yet.

Alex

PS. Would you mind sharing what sped are you achieving for backup / restore? If you can change the SATa mode to IDE, try it also. Ghost 2003 in a motherboard with SB700/710/750 runs much faster in IDE than AHCI. Restore is also always faster than backup. I have reached over 6000 MB/min in a partition to partition copy with SATA mode set as IDE. Hard drives were Hitachi desktar 7K1000.C as source, Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ as destination :p Let me find my screenshot

Last edited:

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Almost a week without a single reply.

I will be seeking a refund now.

Thanks for the detailed use of Ghost 2003. I will use your info if I buy 2003.

However, I would like to find a DOS based imaging solution that will have some customer support ( If I need some ) and updates ( if only for just a year ).

Has anyone have advice about Acronis and Win7 ?
Does it have a DOS, CD, or flash utility, for partition to image, backup and restore for use on Win7 ?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Acronis can and should be run from a bootable cd which you create after you install the program. And it does work with Windows 7