gf's little brother came over, messed with my receiver, now it doesn't work

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
goddamnit! :|

i suppose he was trying to play xbox and couldn't figure out that the xbox was plugged into the receiver via component and then into the tv. he messed around with some cables in the back, it looks like. now the monitor out on the receiver doesn't work.

:|

Oct 4, 2004
Reset Factory Settings? The little tyke didn't saw the Cable in two pieces?
There are a lot of reasons why this could happen.

(Oh, is this for tech support or just a rant?)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Reset Factory Settings? The little tyke didn't saw the Cable in two pieces?
There are a lot of reasons why this could happen.

(Oh, is this for tech support or just a rant?)

in the back of the manual, it says to make sure that both composite and component aren't plugged in. i unplugged the composite cable that he plugged in. and it still doesn't work. the manual says, if it doesn't work, contact yamaha's service center.

i'm going to leave it unplugged overnight and see if that clears up a setting or something

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: us3rnotfound
i'm going to leave it unplugged overnight and see if that clears up a setting or something
that doesn't make sense, does it?

it's about all i have to cling to, at this point.

the thing has some memory. it's able to ride out short power outages and being moved from one room to another without losing radio stations. maybe something got screwed up inside and it thinks it shouldn't be routing video from the in port to the monitor out port. hellifiknow.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
disconnect everything and look in the manual for how to reset the damn thing. then reconnect everything logically. if that doesn't work, call the yamaha service center. if the little idiot broke it, make him pay!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Wow, I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. Do yourself a favor and buy a Logitech Harmony remote...no more issues with non-techies messing with your system.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaido
Wow, I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. Do yourself a favor and buy a Logitech Harmony remote...no more issues with non-techies messing with your system.

i had one. it and my tv didn't get along so well.

Originally posted by: ForumMaster
disconnect everything and look in the manual for how to reset the damn thing. then reconnect everything logically. if that doesn't work, call the yamaha service center. if the little idiot broke it, make him pay!
manual doesn't seem to have instructions on how to reset it

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
this is why if anyone wants to do anything involving my equipment i do it. UNLESS i know they are not going to fvck it up.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
this is why if anyone wants to do anything involving my equipment i do it. UNLESS i know they are not going to fvck it up.

i wasn't here.

little bastard also tossed a bunch of stuff in the trash can without putting a bag in first :|