GF4 Wont Work......

KH85

Jun 24, 2002
i recently got a GF4 and when i install the drivers it will crash (afta bout 10 secs) i hav been told it is my AGP Main Board Driver but this did no good....i hav got the drivers for my mainboard n they did nuthin....so can i hav ne surgestion of wot might b the problem pleaz :)

--------------------------------
Thnx Karl
--------------------------------

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Do you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your system?
Did you correctly remove all traces of your old video card (if applicable) before you installed your GF4?
Do you have anything overclocked in your system?
Is your system cool enough and does it have enough power?

AdvancedRobotics

Jul 30, 2002
If you had a video card previosly:
1) If your old video card was a PCI card, then the AGP may be disabled.
2) You didn't remove all the drivers/etc. from old video card.

If not:
1) PSU is too small
2) Old video drivers are messing things up
3) Overheating (processor)
4) "i hav got the drivers for my mainboard n they did nuthin" do you mean you got the latest bios? If you did, maybe this changed the FSB of your processor and it is now messing up your system entirely.

KH85

Jun 24, 2002
Thnx for that, ill try all of these suggestions and hope one of em works :)

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Post your spec including what chipsets are involved. You may have an old AGP1.0 AGP slot (diff to AGP2x, 4x etc) which is often VERY problematic and unstable with any relatively modern gfx card. As said other common things to check are heat problems and underpowered PSU. Other than that it is likely to be down to sw meaning your BIOS, OS or drivers (get the latest official drivers and remove all traces of old ones).

ThreeLeggedGnome

Jun 18, 2002
If you had a geforce 1 or 2 before this card make sure you disable "side banding address" option. My geforce4 card crashed within 10 seconds in 3D mode till this was disabled. I dont remember the name of the utility to disable it, anyone?