GF4 Ti 4200 Video-In quality

MANKOU

Sep 13, 2000
I was wondering if I could use the VI of a GF4 Ti 4200 (eg Gainword) for capturing content from my VCR (Video Recorder) and then burn it on VCDs or Divx discs.
I'm not looking for something fancy or professional :)P), I just want to have quality good enough to watch without eye-ache.
So, is this Video-In any good?
Thank you in advance.:)

whiteboyatcal

Jul 1, 2002
I've heard that the video-out is pretty bad on the Geforce 4's but the video-in is pretty good in my opinion. I use my Ti4200 video-in feature to connect the card to my VCR and Laserdisc player and the quality seems pretty good. Better than my TV in fact, since the resolution of my monitor is much higher. Check out software from Intervideo for capturing and recording. I am able to watch tapes and such in realtime on my computer (P4 1.6A) with no problems.

Dreadogg

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2001
my experiance with Gforce Video out quality was bad I am getting the chaintech gforce 4200 GT21 and that has the video in so I will tell ya How it works in like 2 days!

mellondust

Nov 20, 2001
I just got my Gainward gf4 ti4200 VIVO and have messed around with the video in a little. I tested it in windows 98se and windows XP with very similar results. I was capturing video from my HI-8 camcorder via s-video cable, I have not tried anything else yet, but plan to and post some more detailed experiences becuase I know alot of people have questions about this, myself included. I learned some interesting things in my short time using it. First of all, I don't know how much the software your using has to do with your results, but for what it's worth, I was using the Intervideo WinCoder program that came with the card on a 17 inch Sony trinitron monitor running at 1024 x 768.

Once I adjusted the color settings, the video looked great. I must say that it looks much better on my computer than when I hook up my camcorder to my TV. It is crisp, clear, and flawless. BUT the resolution that looks so good is ONLY 320 x 240!!! That is about a 3 inch square box on your screen. 640 x 480 looks ok, but is degraded a little and grainy. It too is a pretty small box this time about 5 x 5 inches square. If you play the input in full screen mode, it looks just horrible. Big giant grains, blotches, and color distortion, nothing worth recording for the intent to play back at full screen. If your only plans are to play clips in a smaller box, this is just perfect and has great quality.

I know that is a breif overview and to the point. I only had a couple hours time to try it out. I am sure there are probably more settings and adjustments to get more out of it, but I haven't got to them yet. So this is more of a what to expect out of the box with no experience kind of thing.

MANKOU

Sep 13, 2000
Thank you for the info, it was what I needed to know. I'll get the Gainward 4 Ti4200 VIVO soon and I plan to make some VCDs for my standalone DVD deck and TV set (32'' as 16:9 or 26'' as 4:3). As far as I know the TVs use a low resolution (mine is not a High Resolution TV), so perhaps the 320 x 240 or even better the 640 x 480 will be fine. We'll see :)