GF 4 4400, 3Dmark score of 7700. Can this be right?

rossco

Jul 10, 2002
Hi guys.

Sorry to post such a similar topic. But i am a bit confused. I am running a

1Ghz AMD
512 Meg Ram
Gainward GS GF4 4400 o/c to 294/350
win98se
rivatuner
3dmark2001se

So anyway i thought this was a bit low. I have been all over the madonion forums and tried loads of things, which took the score down. I think it has confused more than helped. Is this score about right considering my processor? Also my card will run higher in gamesin terms of o/c, but in order to complete the tests 294 is the fastest it will go. 296 or above and the 2nd truck sequence freezes.

Has anyone any thoughts or ideas

Cheers

Rossco

rossco

Jul 10, 2002
Thanks tenoc. Yeah i was sure that would be an issue. I cant overclock easily as it would mean breaking and setting new multiplier manually on cpu. I cant increase the fsb in the bios. So no overclock for me unfortuantly.

I might upgrade soon.

any other thoughts

ta

Rossco

maxSe

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
I agree with tenoc.. It seems that your CPU is the bottleneck. I believe 3DMark's score varies quite a bit depending on the CPU also. I've recently built a system for a friend of mine that consisted of P4 1.6A@2.13, 256MB PC2100 DDR and VisionTek GF3 (original & stock speed). When I benchmarked this with 3DMark2001SE, I got a score in the range fo 7500~7900...

One word... upgrade! :D

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rossco
Thanks tenoc. Yeah i was sure that would be an issue. I cant overclock easily as it would mean breaking and setting new multiplier manually on cpu. I cant increase the fsb in the bios. So no overclock for me unfortuantly.

I might upgrade soon.

It'd be nice to upgrade that but you're not considering it based on your low 3dmark score are you?

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
There is no point in o/cing the card, imho, since the cpu can't keep up to it anyhow.

As Luda alludes to, the only reason to upgrade is to bump your 3dmark.

Your rig as it is will run any existing game just fine and anything on the immediate horizon as well.

I don't know what size monitor you have, anything less than 19" (size does matter) points the way to to what I would upgrade next.

rossco

Jul 10, 2002
Thanks guys for the replies. You have all put points that are in my conumdrum.

Firstly i do not want to upgrade because of just the 3d mark score. Its how games play. all play ok at the moment but for how mcuh longer?

So many other questions if i do decide to upgrade. Do i buy a xp now or wait for the hammer technology. P4 or AMD. Also the things is i am off travelling next year so i really should be saving money and i wont be able to play on the pc anyway.

Also i wanted to overclock my cpu a bit to get more out of the graphics card. But it will mean breaking the l7 bridge and manually reseting the multiplier a tricky procedure.

On the monitor front. I only have a 15inch. Crappy i know but i am out of the country working abroad for the next 11 months and i have to thinking of shipping any possible purchase back and extra cost.

so many considerations and so many new good games to cater for.