Gettting my first tattoo tomorrow

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: S Freud
So tomorrow I am getting my first tattoo, I'm nineteen and about three years ago I lost a very close, much more of a best friend. He was like a brother to me and I miss him dearly, so after a lot of though I have decided to get a tattoo with a very meaningful quote.

"How lucky I am to have had a friend, so hard to say goodbye to."
I'll get his name put below it along with 1988-2003

I am going to have these words put over the top of a hollow cross between my shoulder blades but a little hight then direct center.

Any advice for me or tips? I was also wondering if anyone knew what a tattoo of this size and detail would cost?

Originally posted by: Rudee
I would recommend you keep thoughts of him in your head in the form of memories, not etched on your body.

:roll:

It's your body and your tribute. :thumbsup:

Don't listen to people that hate freedom and America like above.

bahahahahah

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: allisolm
I've never understood how a tattoo on a part of the body you can't even see helps you to remember someone.

:Q Oh snap!

Whatever floats your boat, OP. How'd your friend die?

Edit: Have you considered a decal on the back window of your car with the same text? That seems to be pretty popular here among young people who have had friends die. And it will be seen a lot more than your tattoo.

dude that's a pretty cool idea too! :thumbsup:

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
tattoos are dumb

This coming from someone with a toilet paper survey in their sig...

and makes $100-300 a month running it (cost to run it is about 2 bucks a month)

you are teh winnarrrr

6StringSamurai

Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: BillGates
You should add at least 45 more words to the quote so that it covers your entire back...that way it takes someone 45 minutes to read it.

On second thought, do something more constructive (and less white trash) to remember your friend. Plant a tree, buy a park bench with a dedication plaque, give a small scholarship in his name, etc...

Nice to know that you consider alot of the US Navy and its vets to be "white trash". That and the art form is over 5000 years old.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
So tomorrow I am getting my first tattoo, I'm nineteen and about three years ago I lost a very close, much more of a best friend. He was like a brother to me and I miss him dearly, so after a lot of though I have decided to get a tattoo with a very meaningful quote.

I am going to have these words put over the top of a hollow cross between my shoulder blades but a little hight then direct center.

Any advice for me or tips? I was also wondering if anyone knew what a tattoo of this size and detail would cost?

I would recommend you keep thoughts of him in your head in the form of memories, not etched on your body.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I understand your method of tribute, and IMHO planting a tree is so yuppie that it makes me sick -- but I really couldn't care less if another person wanted to honor a friend by planting one.

I would recommend that you put a little more thought into it, though. Make sure that the tat is exactly what you want it to be. If it's not, you'll be getting another and spending more later to have it fixed, or you'll just not be as excited about it.

Also: once you get inked once, you'll want another. It's addicting.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: jlbenedict
I have my first son's footprints tattooed on my right arm. We lost him due to premature birth and he was born stillborn. A year later, our twins died due to premature birth; one lived two hours, the other made it 11 hours.
I'm thinking of ideas for my second memory tattoo.
Saddest story I've ever heard. :(

I was so pissed when my daughter's footprint washed off my arm, I wanted to have it tattooed as well.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: chairbornrangerx
I agree that those of you telling him not to do it are retards who hate freedom. I fought in iraq for over a year, and lost 2 very good friends to roadside bombs. I've thought about getting a set of dog tags on my forearm with a saying on it. I think he asked for opinions on the tattoo itself, not your opinions of whether he should get it. So if you don't have something constructive to say, its as easy as hitting the back button on your browser.

That would be a very awesome design, and an excellent tribute.

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: j00fek
you all are pussy's. telling him not to get the tat. hey he was a great friend of his and he want the memories etched forever to him. there is nothing wrong with remembering people by ink.

i praise the op for his loyalty to his friend and wanting to remember such a good friend by ink.

screw all you pussys

Yes, you fit the stereotype perfectly. Thank you.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
you all are pussy's. telling him not to get the tat. hey he was a great friend of his and he want the memories etched forever to him. there is nothing wrong with remembering people by ink.

i praise the op for his loyalty to his friend and wanting to remember such a good friend by ink.

screw all you pussys

I was thinking the same thing....

Ausm

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CaesaR
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
I would recommend you keep thoughts of him in your memories, not etched on your body.
I agree

I also agree, and I'm all for tattoos. I kinda feel like memorial tats should be reserved for family only but, like you say, he was like a brother. I can understand that. Even so, they're kinda too....I dunno, depressing. I'd rather get something that reminds me of him in the form of artistry.

[derail/hijack attempt]
I'm tired of all the memorial tattoos on Miami Ink. They really need to get a new theme. I swear they'd have you believe that 4 out of 5 tattoos are memorial tattoos of some kind (death, disease, etc...).

I just wanna see awesome tattoos without the sob stories. It's like watching olympic gymnastics when John Tesh is the freaking broadcaster
[/attempt]

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Pablo

screw all you pussys

Yes, you fit the stereotype perfectly. Thank you.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

so you're going to have a guy's name tattooed on your body?!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDI

so you're going to have a guy's name tattooed on your body?!

That thought occurred to me too. :D

To everyone saying that the people who are telling him not to get it are threadcrapping or hating America/freedom or whatever, read the damn OP. He asked for advice. People are giving him advice - don't get it.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
How about instead of getting his name tattooed on you, get something symbolic that reminds you of him with his years of life (19XX-200X). That way, some dude's name isnt inked onto your body, it's requires a little more thought on your part, which IMO, if he was as close of a friend as you say he was, he deserves just that on your part.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Instead of a sentence, try putting an image of something that symbolizes
your friend?

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Not to hijack, but someone above posted about cost of tattoo + tip. You're supposed to TIP the tattoo guy? He sets the price in the 1st place...what is the point in tipping?

Apr 17, 2003

way to blow it out of proportion as usual :roll:

OP, good luck with the tat! Sounds like a good idea.