Getting Xbox games to play 5.1 DD?

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
I have my Xbox hear and just hooked up my rear speakers but how do i play games in 5.1 DD
Like i pop on ninja gaiden. At the menu my reciever doesnt show the DD option. I get prologic and such but not DD.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
5.1 only plays if the track is encoded in 5.1, you can't play something that doesn't exist. You might also want to invest in an optical cable and hook it up to your 5.1 receiver (I hope you know this already)

Feb 10, 2000
I'm not sure I understand the question. You need a DD-capable receiver, and I'm not clear if yours is. You also need, as I recall, the Advanced A/V pack, which provides an optical out for the XBox.

EDIT because we posted simultaneously: If your receiver is DD-capable, this should work fine (but then you knew that!). I would post the question at one of the HT or AV forums, because I know my system autodetected the XBox as a DD feed and worked perfectly the first time. Do you have your receiver configured for stereo output, rather than 5.1 output?

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
You have to go into the options on the dashboard. I don't remember where it is exactly, but it's fairly obvious.