Getting warmer out - a little scared of the temps on my gaming/cruncher rig

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I got up today, and my apt was 82F inside, way too hot. And it's only like 60-62F outside.

CoreTemp reports (after I opened the window), 53C on the CPU currently, and max of 55C.

However, my idle temps are 6C, instead of 20C, which is unrealistic, and which means I basically add 20C to the core temp to get the final value. Which means, it got up to 75C, which is above the limit for AMD CPUs.

Also, two nights ago or so, I added my second GTX460 1GB Gigabyte Windforce OC card.

Before, the GPU temps with a single GPU were like 63-68C.

Now the top card is 80C, and the bottom card is 75C.

Imagine when it gets to like 70-75F outside, my computer is going to be cooking! (Even with the window open.)

I'm going to shut down BOINC, and get a baseline for idle in these temps.

Edit: 23-25C on CPU coretemp. Top GPU is 45-46C, bottom GPU is 41C.

Last edited:

zidan

Jun 25, 2008
TThrottle (available at http://efmer.eu/boinc/) has worked well for me. I set my GPU max temp and CPU max temp and it throttles BOINC tasks in order to keep the CPU and GPU temps below the specified temp.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
TThrottle (available at http://efmer.eu/boinc/) has worked well for me. I set my GPU max temp and CPU max temp and it throttles BOINC tasks in order to keep the CPU and GPU temps below the specified temp.

That's really cool, thanks. I was just thinking about if something like that was possible the other day.

Edit: Wow, I just tried that out, it is AWESOME, thank you. Perfect.

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
I'm assuming you had the A/C turned off all night, or else the ambient room temp wouldn't have reached 82°F?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't run the AC in the winter, I open the windows. But I had the windows closed, because I had them open earlier yesterday and it got kind of cool inside.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

I may have to check this out... if my 5870 could stay just ~3C or so cooler, it wouldn't ramp up the fan that last little bit so it fails the WAF acceptance test.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It doesn't work as well on my laptop. I'm not sure what temp sensor it's reading on the laptop. (T3100 C2D Celeron dual-core, NV chipset).

I set it for 55C, and it shows a temp of 55-56C, but CoreTemp gives readings as high as 60C.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Thank you zidan. I also have the issue of temps inside getting a bit too warm. I'll be testing this out early next week when the temps rise again.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just tried it on my HTPC, and other than the program using a temp sensor that was different than CoreTemp does, it was working.

Then my HTPC crashed, and rebooted, and the BIOS said something about a "HyperTransport Sync Flood error".

Have no idea if that was because of this program, or just coincidence.

However, my HTPC hasn't crashed in ages, before this.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'm in the same predicament, VirtualLarry. It's not warm enough to run the A/C and not cold enough for the windows open to have an effect.

That's perfect! I'll need to get this. Thanks, zidan!

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'm in the same predicament, VirtualLarry. It's not warm enough to run the A/C and not cold enough for the windows open to have an effect.

If you open multiple windows, do you get a cross breeze? I'm thinking even if it was 75-78 degrees, the breeze would be enough to move the heat out of the affected room, thus you still won't have to run the A/C, yet keep going with your DC efforts.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Unfortunately, this program seems to get a bit confused. GPU1 is 80-81C, and at 99% usage. GPU2 is at 68C, and it is the one getting throttled. I don't quite understand why.

It was working when I first installed it.

Edit: Even with the crunchers being temp-limited, it's still getting too hot in my apt, I'm going to start shutting some of them down.

Last edited:

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
If you open multiple windows, do you get a cross breeze? I'm thinking even if it was 75-78 degrees, the breeze would be enough to move the heat out of the affected room, thus you still won't have to run the A/C, yet keep going with your DC efforts.

Both windows open and ceiling fan going on low. I have a cat and she gets sick if I have the fan going any higher all night long, every night. I'd leave my door open - which would help a lot with the air flow - but my room-mate's cat and mine don't get along. :/

I ordered some higher CFM case fans to put in the front of my case and hopefully that'll help by making my case positive pressured with higher intake air flow.