Getting tired of my Linksys WRT54GS

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm running a WRT54GS v1.0 with Sveasoft 1.0. It seems about every 2-3 days I have to do a cold reboot of the router to regain functionability (Unplugging it and then replugging it in). Before the reboot it will show limited functionability on all computers that are connected to it (Its my main DHCP Server).

This could be a small inconvenience but I run a FTP server for a company behind this router and I can't keep having this happen. One of my contract demands is I keep the connection alive 98% of the time and if I were at work or sleeping and didn't see the router go down, it could violate the contract.

This last time was the funny part. The company still had a live connection to the server even though the network was down to the rest of the network. They were still transferring information right up until I had to reboot. Anyone know the possible cause?

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Try a different firmware. I highly doubt that your router hardware is the problem if it reboots. I would suggest the stock Linksys firmware or HyperWRT as an alternative solution.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The DHCP server on those is often the flakey part.
Try assigning static IP's to the workstations. I assume the FTP server is a static assignment with the port forwarded.
That is the reason the rest of the net was "down", but the FTP continued to work.
Once a lease has expired on a machine set to "acquire network address automatically", you'll see it run home to mamma, that annoying 69.254.whatever address they run to when no dhcp server replies.
Try assigning static IP's, unless there are a buttload of machines to do it on.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
The FTP server is the DMZ server since the server picked random ports to shoot the listing out on. I'll try stock firmware.

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
I have a wrt54g which is more or less the same router. I have similar problems when I bittorrent. It would dissconnect me when I used it heavily. When ever I didn't it was fine. There are a couple quirks with the wrt54's. The httpd has a memory leak, so If you leave the router web gui up for extended periods of time it can bring down the router. Another common thing is the CPU clock and LAN bus can get confused. The CPU runs at 200MHz and the LAN runs at 216 MHz. A lot of people (myself included) have overclocked their wrt54 to 216 MHz to syncronise them. You just have to type a few commands into a telnet session and reboot and it will clock it at what you specify.

nvram set clkfreq=216
nvram commit
reboot

I would do some more research, and I'm sure you would anyways on the subject, there is a lot of info out there on the wrt54's. Obviously you know this ... seeing how your running Sveasoft.

Anyways, hope this helps.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I am shocked.:shocked:
Given the number of recommendations that you see here for this hardware you would think that it is perfect.:gift:

Did you called Linksys support?

If you did what was their suggestion?

:sun:

Oct 31, 2003
I had owned a 54g linksys router for about two years and then I fried it in Iraq. I never had the mentioned problem with it... however, since then, I've boughten a 'b' linksys router and It has the same exact issue. Every 3 days you have to turn it off and then back on. I updated firmware with no success of ridding the issue.

For a while I thought it had something to do with the mac filter because in event viewer it would tell me that I may not have access to the network. The 3 day thing kinda turned my attention to the router's cabablity to assign IP addresses properly. I'd say go with the static IP deal like above mentioned, or get a different router.

I have yet to be able to get the router to work properly with dhcp enabled and a mac filter on.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Got the same router and the same issue. I am using it as a wireless access point here at work. About every 2-4 days it simply stops functioning and requires it be unplugged.

Not terribly impressed.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I hope it will not happen with my new wrt54g router I bought last week.

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
The Sveasoft firmware was interesting when it was pretty much the only thing around, but now it's not, it's dropped in quality, and the Sveasoft person/people have a severe attitude problem. I'd suggest avoiding that.

OpenWRT has served me very very well. I have WRTs running OpenWRT fielded in places where if more than a few packets get dropped I'll hear about it immediately, and they just keep on working as long as I don't mess with them. Setting up OpenWRT, and working around some issues it has (most notably, not handling too well when you run out of flash space) is tricky.

The HyperWRT firmware has worked well for me when I've installed WRTs in low-tech environments. It has less features than Sveasoft but seems more reliable.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
I have the newest stock firmware but it?s too late for me and I plan on replacing the router soon.

The router runs an average temperature of 95F-100F on the top in a well ventilated and cool room. This is not good for computer hardware and tells me its only going to fail sooner than other brands. With the high traffic I pump through it I would rather someone get it than me fry it 6 months down the road. The added features of hacks doesn't do much for me since I only need a selectable DHCP server, DMZ server, and a NAT firewall. I dumped my laptop so the wireless side is kind of worthless to me with all of the loose RF floating around here. Ohh well.