Getting the same speeds with wifi repeater vs. access point

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
My cable modem and wifi router are in our basement. For a few years now I've been using this WD wifi range extender (http://www.amazon.com/Net-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-universal/dp/B0090J652Y) set up on the first floor, with all wireless devices connected to the range extender. The extender is about 50 feet from the wireless router. Using this setup I'm able to get about 10/5 with ping around 30-40 when doing speedtest.

I decided to run an RJ45 cable from the router all the way up to the first floor and then use a router in bridge mode (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7JJ31A2473) to create an access point, thinking that this would be faster than the wifi range extender (again, about a 50 foot cable from the basement router to the first floor router in bridge mode). However when I run speed tests connected to the access point the speeds are only marginally faster, and sometimes slower than compared to the wireless extender. Here are the results.

Baseline test - Laptop connected to access point router via RJ45
Ping: 26
Down: 90
Up: 6

Laptop to wireless repeater from kitchen (-50db)
Ping: 32
down: 10
up: 6

Laptop to wireless access point from kitchen (-50db)
Ping: 27
Down: 10
up: 5

I would like to know why it is not substantially faster connecting to an access point versus a wifi repeater. How can the wifi repeater beam wireless signal the final 50 feet to my basement router faster than the access point can send a signal through 50 feet of network cable? I'm not getting any wireless interference on either device. This is 802.11 N 2.4ghz.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Are you sure the wifi adapter in the laptop is not just a G adapter (or connecting at G speeds)? The fact that the pings are the same on wired and wireless makes me think it's not interference and the laptop is simply running at G wireless speeds..