getting the heat sink off

lazybum550

Nov 20, 2001
is there an easy way to get a heat sink and fan off of a socket A processor? I used a flat tip screw driver to put it on but i can't get the damn thing off. I tried pushing one side of the bracket down and tilting it but that didn't work. please Help

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
edit: woops! i thought you were talking about getting it off if the heatsink goo had it stuck on.

you're talking about getting the retaining clip off eh? use a small flathead and push down and out..sorta at a 45 degree angle

ignore the below:

1) try a twisting movement

2) if that doesn't work, get one of those compressed air cans for cleaning keyboards. turn the can upside down, and spray the heatsink for 5 seconds. put a piece of plastic between the chip and the edge of the heatsink, and carefully pry off with a screw driver.

kgdb

Jul 11, 2000
hmmmmmm usually on the heatsinks that use the screw driver type retainers I very carefully push the retainer down untill I see it clear the plastic lock and then gently move the screw driver back so that the retainer clears the lock as I release the pressure. On the socket A's just be sure the heatsink doesnt slid and be very carefull the screwdriver doesnt slip and gouge ant traces on the mb. Not to difficult just pay extra attention so you dont damage the mb or crack the processor.

FlipSide

Nov 8, 2001
make sure you protect the circuit traces on the mobo under the clip. I would put a calling card against the SocketA under the clip to have some protection in case of slippage. Remove the clip in reverse of how it was installed.