Getting started with the Civilization series?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Being intrigued by the praise for Civilization, I recently picked up both Civ3 and Civ4 Complete (Civ4 with both expansions plus Colonization). My main focus is with Civ4, as Civ3 seems too dated and I don't like its fixed resolution.

I've never played the series until now, and I feel somewhat overwhelmed with information but underwhelmed with the gameplay. I'm more of an action gamer, so maybe TBS aren't my thing. FYI, I don't play other strategy games (RTS, etc.) much either.

Other than Civ4's tutorial, are there any other tutorials or scenarios that are good for new players and might also help to draw me in?

Was also thinking about renting Civ Revolution for the 360, as it's simpler with faster gameplay than Civ on the PC. I'm sure it's considered dumbed-down, but would that be a good starting point for a n00b?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
When I started playing Civ I just jumped right in. You'll learn things as you go along. If you put the difficulty on one of the easier levels you'll be able to just play and not have to worry about things like city specialization and such.

If you want a tutorial civfanatics is a great resource. This looks like a decent starter's guide.

Don't bother with Civ Revolution.

Last edited:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
When I started playing Civ I just jumped right in. You'll learn things as you go along. If you put the difficulty on one of the easier levels you'll be able to just play and not have to worry about things like city specialization and such.

If you want a tutorial civfanatics is a great resource. This looks like a decent starter's guide.

Don't bother with Civ Revolution.

civfanatics is an excellent resource which helped me tremendously.

One word of advice: don't forget to go to bed!

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
"I feel somewhat overwhelmed with information"
you will at first, but give it time.

i don't touch civ4 at all right now, it eats up time too fast and easily for me, so i don't even bother to make time for it.

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I didn't like Civ at all when I first played it.

About four hours later, I was still playing. It's addicting once you get started.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
I can see this game being some what hard and hard to follow because you arent used to the rts way of life. But if you put some time and effort into this game i can promise you this .... you will lose hours of time and sleep.....It sucks you in, its a "well Ill just play for 2 hours then hit the hay....................<6 hours pass>............. shit its 2 a.m. what the hell am I doing I have work in 4 hours". :p

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
CivRev is actually pretty good and I guess you could learn some game mechanics from it, but honestly it's so streamlined that it plays out as a completely different game then the PC Civ. It's a lot more fast paced and so much is automated that after playing Rev you might not be able to get into Civ if your an action gamer.

I think your best bet is to play a custom Civ IV BtS game as you can play without barbarians, war, and a whole host of other things and spend some time learning how everything works.