Getting ready to build my I7 system, just have a couple of questions...

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
I got all the parts from newegg,
My motherboard is the gigabyte udr3 (I think is the model number, it is the cheaper version of the gigabyte x58 motherboard). I am also planning on overclocking at some point in the future. Haven't overclocked since my celeron 300a.

Here are the questions
1. I do not have anything but the stock heat sink. If I install the stock heat sink now if I replace it is there any reasonable chance of damaging the cpu if I try to upgrade to a better heat sink in the future? Is it difficult to clean the top of the cpu when changing heat sinks and what is the best method to clean it?

2. There is not any thermal paste included with the cpu, but there is a sort of pad on the bottom of the heat sink. Is this pad sufficient or do I have to add a thermal paste?

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
1. Not really. I use isopropyl alcohol to clean off paste, and then let it air dry for a few minutes.

2. The pad is fine for your use.

Mar 18, 2009
2. The 'pad' you speak of is pre-applied thermal paste. If you poke it with the tip of a pen you will notice it is actually paste. it will squish on application and cure over the next week.
Easy to remove if you want to upgrade too.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Thanks a bunch i am posting from this new build .. after coming from a amd64 3000 processor, this I7 is quite impressive