Getting Prescriptions Filled at Walmart (Why does it take so long?)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Does anyone know why it takes so long to get prescriptions filled at Walmart? My mom had to get one filled today, and the doctor had called Walmart hours earlier and authorized the refill. She goes in to pick it up and they said it would be a 20 minute wait. There was no one else in line. In the past they have told her it would be a 30 minute or 45 minute wait.

We don't live in a big city (~14,000 population) and there's multiple other pharmacies in town. I guess the only thing I can think of is they ALWAYS have a huge backlog of scripts to fill but that seems like kind of a stretch to me.

Anyone with any insight as to why this is?

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
no fucking kidding...

every month.. it's go to the doc, get scripts called in.. wait 2 hours trying to kill time around wally world... finally.. filled.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I use the online ordering. My drugs are always ready quickly and they even email when they are ready.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
New scripts at Walmart have never taken more than 20min. I do my refils online and they are always ready when I get there.
Kroger OTOH, that was slow. Never again.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
There was no one else in line. In the past they have told her it would be a 30 minute or 45 minute wait.

that's how it is here too. there are ~4-6 people behind the counter not doing anything either. i did that for 2 prescriptions, now i go to target. ~10-20 minutes max. or refill online and just pick it up.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
it takes at least 30 mins anywhere for me. whether thats in 1990 or now year 2012
i dont understand why so long either. its not like the pharmacists count the pills themselves. the whole process is automated and counted by computers anyway.

ideally it should work like a vending machine shouldnt it? pop your prescription in for 40 pills of Claritin, and out comes exactly 40 pills in a bottle. im surprised it takes so long anywhere!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I use the online ordering. My drugs are always ready quickly and they even email when they are ready.

And this is why it takes so long. OP, just because there isn't anyone else in line doesn't mean that there aren't other orders needing to be filled that came in before you. Plus, all of the red tape the pharmacy needs to go through, it takes time.

I haven't found the wait any different than CVS or Walgreens, honestly. I will say, though, that Walmart usually has fewer pharmacists actually working than the other places.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
We used the local WalMart for prescriptions under the delusion that WM was cheaper until we found a small, locally owed pharmacy that beat WM's prices every time on everything and our wait times for getting them filled were never over a couple of minutes, and that included walking in with the prescription in hand--not calling them in.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
The biggest slow down is insurance. I assume a new prescription takers longer than a refill to get approved. They don't even think about filling until insurance goes through

jayzds

Nov 21, 2006
The biggest slow down is insurance. I assume a new prescription takers longer than a refill to get approved. They don't even think about filling until insurance goes through

Iit does not take that long for insurace to go through or find out what the issue is if rejected.
When ever I get a refill and if there is an issue they inform me right away of what it is. Then if it does go through it is 10 to 20 min wait to get it filled.

@ CVS btw.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Its probably not the pharmacy but your doctors dumbass handwriting/prescribing skills.