Getting Optical Out from the headers

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
My motherboard is a P4P800 Deluxe and I am looking to get the Z680 speakers this month some time. The Z680's take either coaxial inputs or optical inputs. AFAIK, optical is higher quality. My motherboard has a coaxial out female connector on it. It has headers for Optical Out (At least I believe it does) but it didn't come with any PCI card or something of the sort so I could use the optical out.

Is there any way I can use the optical out by either buying an adapter or something? I'm not looking for a whole new audio card, just something to utilize the onboard sound card's optical out.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
There is apparently a bracket for optical output. Look on page 61 of the online manual. There is a bracket that attaches near the rear of the case by the 2nd PCI slot up from the bottom. How kind of Asus not to include it with the board! I googled for a while but didn't come up with anyone selling it. You might try emailing Asus about how you can get this bracket.

chocoruacal

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2002
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
AFAIK, optical is higher quality. .

LOL...there's no practical difference between coax and optical. You can buy a convertor at Newegg...MAudio makes one i believe.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: beatle
There is apparently a bracket for optical output. Look on page 61 of the online manual. There is a bracket that attaches near the rear of the case by the 2nd PCI slot up from the bottom. How kind of Asus not to include it with the board! I googled for a while but didn't come up with anyone selling it. You might try emailing Asus about how you can get this bracket.

I'll try searching around, I'm surprised they didn't include it... Thanks.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Well, they sell one on newegg but its coax too. chocoruacal, I think I'll go with your opinion and not worry about optical right now, coax shouldn't be too noticeable under most cases.