Getting my receiver to decode sound in DTS/DD help please

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
OK, for whatever reason, none of my dvds play in DTS or DD surround sound, only Pro Logic according to my receiver (Sony STR-DE575)

My dvd player audio outputs are hooked into the DVD audio inputs on the receiver and I just thought that if the dvd supported DTS or DD, it would send the signal to the receiver

One of my friends mentioned it might be due to the fact that I don't have digital coaxial cables with the RCA ends, I have analog cables instead.

Or maybe do I have to set up something on my receiver? I just thought the receiver was smart enough to decode in whatever signal came ? Does anyone have a similar model receiver?

Thanks! I really want to hear Dolby Digital and DTS through my speakers and here the difference from Pro Logic.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
You MUST use either a digital optical or coaxial cable to connect your DVD player to your receiver.

The 2 composite cables won't cut it i'm afraid. :(

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
In addition to needing a cable to a digital input, check your DVD player's setup menu and make sure the audio output is set to RAW or SPDIF mode rather than analog... That should get DD and DTS working...

Dave

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
cool, yah, I think I need to get a digital coax cable. it's an orange colored connection on the dvd player and the receiver after reading the manuals again so I think that'll do it.

I also use my dvd player to play mp3s. Do they play in Dolby digital? or would i have to keep the composites plugged in to play the mp3s? Can both be plugged in at the same time? (the composites like the red and white plugins) and then the digital coaxial cable

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, if you set the output to RAW mode your receiver should autodetect the signal, so there's no need to hook up the analog cables...

Dave

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
ah, ok, good deal. thanks for the quick replies guys :) just ordered a digital coax cable (Acoustic Research brand) for instore pickup at my local best buy tomorrow

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Hey, I was about to post the exact same question.

I have a Sony STR-DE485 and I also could only get ProLogic.

I remember reading that as long as it was coaxial 75 ohm, it would work, but it hasn't for me.

How much did that cable run ya? ;)

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
I got the acoustic research brand 12 feet for like $14.99 at Best Buy.

We'll see what happens. Want to hear that sweet sound :)

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Psteng: That's odd... My Laserdisc player's digital out is hooked up using the cheap "video" cables that you get with a DVD player or VCR (the cables are *really* thin) and the digital sound works great....

Dave

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveJ
Psteng: That's odd... My Laserdisc player's digital out is hooked up using the cheap "video" cables that you get with a DVD player or VCR (the cables are *really* thin) and the digital sound works great....

Dave

Are you talking about the RCA composite cables (red, yellow, white).
I don't think I'm even using one of those, but I am getting sound. Just not DD, DTS.

Gonna try one of those if you say it works.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Psteng: Yeah, I'm using just the standard yellow video cables, nothing special.... I doubt they're even 75 ohm impedance given their cheapness, but they work fine... :)

Dave

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
actually composite video cables should be 75ohm, and should work for digital coax

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
UPDATE: went to best buy, got my digital coaxial cable, set the dvd to SPDIF/RAW and everything works great! Nice dolby digital surround sound! Thanks guys!