Getting memory to run at correct speed of 1066mhz

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I don't know if my BIOS is being flaking or what. I thought that I had this set a year ago but I peaked in earlier today and saw that some of my settings have reset back to default.

I cannot get my memory to run at 1066(memory standard) without slight overclock. Even then I can only get it to 1068 which I'm fine with.

I wouldn't mind overclock to 3.4ghz since my motherboard already supports that speed anyways. It seems that the E8400 is suppose to push up to 4ghz without a problem as well from what I've read.

I took some screenshots of my bios with camera and a screenshot of cpu-z. I think I'm fine with the overclocking.. I just want to see if anybody can identify if I'm doing something wrong by looking at the screenshots.

cpuz
This is after the overclock.. cpuz is reporting everything in my system wrong from clock speed to ram speed.

bios-auto
This is my bios set to auto reporting that my ram is running at 800mhz.

bios-overclocked
Here is my bios slightly overclocked to get ram speed to 1068.

The voltage of my ram is bumped up because the auto settings put the voltage way under the memory specifications(and system won't boot) I decreased vcore slightly as well just for the hell of it.

Does anybody see anything wrong with any of this?

My bios keeps resetting back to defaults after every reboot as well. :confused:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
i'm pretty sure the 6x multi is caused by a powersaving feature of your motherbaord. With cpu-z opened, starting doing some intensive things to see if the clock speed changes

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Thanks guys. I didn't think I was going to get any replies after a while so I stopped checking this thread.

Motherboard

Memory

I'll check that link as well and try as suggested.

EDIT:

Bah, I just read that the ram actually is 800 even though it 'supports up to 1066'.

The BIOS sucks on this board. I can't manually adjust the timings on the ram which are running 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-5-5-15.

I should have done more research before building this. The last time I go budget on a build.

Yeah, cpuz keeps changing the multiplier between x6 and x9 when doing stuff. And my damn FSB reset back to default again. Why wont this damn bios keep my settings!! I am using the 'save to cmos and exit' function after changes. Not completely retarded here. :D

I'll have to check to see if there is a BIOS update I guess. There probably isn't though.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Be sure to hit CTRL+F1 at the main BIOS screen to get advanced overclocking options in the Intelligent Tweaker section.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Originally posted by: zagood
Read this guide. Note #3 (memory)
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2057083&enterthread=y

Your ram is RATED to reach 1066 speed. Doesn't mean that's what is does/should run at 24/7.

If you want to tell us the actual ram and motherboard models, we could suggest some settings for you.

If my RAM is rated at a certain speed then I expect it to run at that speed 24/7.

ok...ram rated at that speed is intended for overclocking. Without overclocking there's no point to it.

anyway, at stock FSB he would need to set the "System Memory Multiplier" to 3.2. There's no option for that.

If you "need" to run your ram 1066@5-5-5-15 2.1v and keep stock CPU speed of 3.0ghz then you can use these settings. Closest I can think of off the top of my head.

CPU Mult. = 8.5
CPU FSB = 352
SPD = 3.0

This will give you a CPU clockspeed of 3.0ghz, and ram speed of DDR2-1056. May need to raise your MCH a notch.

Be sure to set your RAM voltage to 2.1v.

This is pretty much wasted effort, wasted volts and unnecessary heat. You'd be better served overclocking your processor and running a 1:1 ratio (SPD = 2.0) while lowering voltage and timings.

IMO, best balance if you want to run the CPU stock would be using SPD=2.4 (DDR2-800). Set timings to 4-4-4-15 and voltage to 2.1v. After verifying that it boots and those timings stick, try lowering voltage - a good set will get down to 1.8v, but 1.9v would still be good.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Read this guide. Note #3 (memory)
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2057083&enterthread=y

This is pretty much wasted effort, wasted volts and unnecessary heat. You'd be better served overclocking your processor and running a 1:1 ratio (SPD = 2.0) while lowering voltage and timings.

Are you suggesting I do this?

cpu host frequency: 333
system memory multiplier: 2.00
-*sets memory to 667
Then lowering timings to 4-4-4-15

..Then testing it.

My memory is running a low mhz with those settings... how do I calculate the different between 800mhz at 5-5-5-15 compared to 667mhz at 4-4-4-15? Is the tighter timings a greater improvement over higher frequency?

I appreciate it.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
You can tighten timings much better than that. I was suggesting you overclock your processor, and go from there.

Check the last line of my old post:
"IMO, best balance if you want to run the CPU stock would be using SPD=2.4 (DDR2-800). Set timings to 4-4-4-15 and voltage to 2.1v. After verifying that it boots and those timings stick, try lowering voltage - a good set will get down to 1.8v, but 1.9v would still be good."

Here's a very good link to speed vs. timings vs. latency:
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160