Getting Lasik Tomorrow!

TygGer

Feb 20, 2003
I have a copy of my Orbscan in front of me and it shows all sorts of measurements. One measurement is the pupil diameter. Mine are 4.2 mm and 4.4 mm for my left and right eye. Is this the measurement they use to determine if your pupils are too large? I was told mine are on the larger side, but can still be done using the CustomVue Wavefront technology on the VISX Star 4 excimer.

Secondly, has anyone heard of long effects... 10, 20, etc years down the road? I'm not even sure how long lasik has been around... I would guess at least 10yrs. I read that having lasik done could accelerate the development of cataracts as you get older. Supposedly, everyone develops some cataracts as you get older, some worse than others.

Lastly, I was told that even years down the road, there were still possibilities that the flap could become dislodged in the event of a severe eye trauma. To me, this means that the flap does not heal 100% like it were never cut. This is acceptable to me as I'm not a boxer or professional athlete and I don't personally know of anyone's flap becoming dislodged, but it's not unheard of. I would like to know if riding roller coasters or having strong winds blown on your face (eg. in car going +60 mph with head out of window) could effect the flap? (I dont plan on doing this, just curious about how sensitive the flap will become)

Any comments welcomed! Please post! Today is the last day before I get teh procedure done.

Thanks

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I had it done in 2003 and haven't had any issues.

I've been to water parks with water blasting me in the face, I've been on rollercoasters, in cars with he windows open, etc...

No issues whatsoever, I think the whole flap thing is more a disclaimer but is very unlikely.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
Do it yourself and save a TON of money! :laugh:

I would strongly advise against the home kit. I bought one and and now I am blind in both eyes. Was not worth the $399 I paid for the unit and will sell it to who ever wants if for $100.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: funboy42

I would strongly advise against the home kit. I bought one and and now I am blind in both eyes. Was not worth the $399 I paid for the unit and will sell it to who ever wants if for $100.

Are you crazy??? Who in the world would pay 100$ when you can become blind in both eyes?????

I'll give you 70$.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Firebot
Originally posted by: funboy42

Are you crazy??? Who in the world would pay 100$ when you can become blind in both eyes?????

I'll give you 70$.

I saved myself even more by just using a hobby knife and a mirror. All kidding aside, had lasik done 6 years ago and it was the best money well spent...ever.

kevman

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
how old are you? with lasik you are guaranteed to need reading glasses by the age of 40 or so, so if you're abour 35+, Id say don't bother

TygGer

Feb 20, 2003
I'm 26. I don't know about "guaranteed," but I understand presbyopia occurs in most people around 40 or so. I thought regardless of lasik, everyone will get a form of presbyopia (some worse than others) and when it begins, you will need reading glasses.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: TygGer
I have a copy of my Orbscan in front of me and it shows all sorts of measurements. One measurement is the pupil diameter. Mine are 4.2 mm and 4.4 mm for my left and right eye. Is this the measurement they use to determine if your pupils are too large? I was told mine are on the larger side, but can still be done using the CustomVue Wavefront technology on the VISX Star 4 excimer.

Secondly, has anyone heard of long effects... 10, 20, etc years down the road? I'm not even sure how long lasik has been around... I would guess at least 10yrs. I read that having lasik done could accelerate the development of cataracts as you get older. Supposedly, everyone develops some cataracts as you get older, some worse than others.

Lastly, I was told that even years down the road, there were still possibilities that the flap could become dislodged in the event of a severe eye trauma. To me, this means that the flap does not heal 100% like it were never cut. This is acceptable to me as I'm not a boxer or professional athlete and I don't personally know of anyone's flap becoming dislodged, but it's not unheard of. I would like to know if riding roller coasters or having strong winds blown on your face (eg. in car going +60 mph with head out of window) could effect the flap? (I dont plan on doing this, just curious about how sensitive the flap will become)

Any comments welcomed! Please post! Today is the last day before I get teh procedure done.

Thanks

i'm in my 8th year since having lasik done.

it's still pretty good here, of course i'm only 41 so cataract obviously aren't a concern yet.

TygGer

Feb 20, 2003
8yrs? Wow, guess you were one of the earlier adopters. Do you get dry eyes and/or see higher order aberrations? Still seeing 20/20?

Also, do you have to concientiously avoid rubbing your eyes?

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
8yrs? Wow, guess you were one of the earlier adopters. Do you get dry eyes and/or see higher order aberrations? Still seeing 20/20?

Also, do you have to concientiously avoid rubbing your eyes?

i never had 20/20. my brother (who did the surgery while doing his fellowship at USC) intentionally under corrected me. i'm just a little better than 20/30 which is actually very very good as my prescriptions at the time of surgery were about -4.75.

i haven't warn glasses in 8 yrs, i'm currently sitting about 22" away from my 15" 1400x1050 resolution laptop screen at small fonts and can see them with ease.

over correcting (according to my brother) is very often abused by eye surgeons, because the patient initially has the reaction of wonder, amazing, i have better than 20/20 vision. the problem with overcorrecting (again according to my brother) is that over correcting leads to your eyes losing accomodation sooner, which means you are back to wearing glasses.

so for eg, myself, i had the surgery done at 33, i am currently 41, if he had over corrected me, i would already be wearing reading glasses, as it is because he didn't, i'll probably go another 5 yrs without reading glasses, unfortunately, reading glasses is almost inevitible for me sometime in my life.

TygGer

Feb 20, 2003
What's considered "over correcting"? I'll assume that it depends on your prescription. I'm about a -1.5 to -2.0, if correcting my prescription to 20/20, would that be considered over correcting?

Jgtdragon

Diamond Member
May 15, 2000

Thanks

Good luck!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I want to get it done. but don't want to i'm to scared to have it done. i don't think i would be able to not have it done without freaking out.