Getting Kind of Blur/Juttering when moving mouse & "looking" in Fallout 4

Sep 17, 2015
I have a 1440p 144hz monitor, and Fallout 4 is the first game I've played on my new PC. I optimized the geforce experience, left everything else alone, had the refresh rate set to 144hz, and played.

It seemed to be working fine until the terminal glitch happened. Apparently you can't play Fallout 4 at 144hz because the gameplay is tied to the FPS. So I looked up fixes and ended up downloading Nvdia Interpreter or something.

Long story short: G-sync is still on, I set FPS Peak Limiter in Nvidia Interpreter to 73 FPS (like 75 but better for v-sync apparently), while the monitor's native refresh is still 144hz. 73 or 75 doesn't go into 144 evenly so I'm confused why that was recommended but it was. I had the same problems anyway when I tried 60 and 58 fps in the peak limiter.

I tried with v-sync turned off also, now it's back on. Basically everything looks good except when inside, or with objects in front of the character pretty close, especially edges like the edge of walls or big square dressers with lots of edges, when you pan the camera/mouse quickly, or even slowly, the edges blur and almost stutter a little bit.

I don't know if this is related to v-sync, g-sync, fps, or is this maybe just what aliasing looks like on PC? I'm so used to console aliasing where edges are always, always shaking, and looking terrible. Maybe now that they actually look steady and clean when the mouse is still, I'm just noticing aliasing when I move the mouse?

I also have the MSI gaming app that lets you choose gaming mod, OC mode, or silent mode. When I opened it up, none were selected, then I clicked on gaming to try it, and now it won't let me unclick. I could click OC mode or silent, but there's no way to go back to having none selected. But then maybe gaming is the default anyway Im not sure, so Im not sure if that messed something up?

If the problem is aliasing, what can I do about it? The geforce experience optimizer set Fallout 4 to TAA aliasing or something. Then in the nvidia interpreter, probably also the nvidia control panel, you can turn on FXAA aliasing. Then in the interpreter, you can also do manual settings for the MS one I forget, multi something, and do 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.

Do I want as many of these on at once that my computer can handle? Or will they interfere? Oh, I also edited the .ini files like some guide said, turning bborders from 1 to 0, and turning "i"something, I forget, having to do with v-sync, from 1 to 0. So I don't even know how to tell if v-sync is still on. It says it's on in the nvidia control panel and nvidia interpreter, for fallout 4 profile specifically it says it's on, but in the game file it's set to 0, that particular thing anyway, so I have no idea.

I'm basically going back and forth between nvidia control panel and nvidia interpreter, and there are a thousand variables, and I know not what most of them mean... And I also have no idea what would be stuttering and what would be my computer is not good enough. I have a 4790k and 980ti but I was confused by being able to turn everything up to max and it still running. I have a nice rig but it's not supposed to do that, right, not at 1440p/144hz like I had it set originally? Maybe the g-sync let the FPS come down without me noticing I don't know.

I'd also like to know how to increase the draw distance and stuff in the .ini files. There are just too many things that I don't know what they are.

And for the motion blurring that happens a little even when there aren't edges, so not the aliasing issue, what settings can I change to make the motion blur easier on the eyes? It's a 27 inch monitor like 3 feet from my eyes so maybe that's also the problem. I'm almost tempted to use a controller and sit farther away. Will an xbox 360 controller work just plug and play or do I have to download more stuff?

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I don't know what the aliasing you are having with the mouse pointer is, but I can explain to you about the refresh rate.

The 73 and 74hz recommended refresh rate does not apply to you. Those are 1 and 2 FPS below what used to be a common refresh rate of 75hz. With DirectX and V-sync on, you get a frame worth of latency when you have FPS that can beat your refresh rate. That cap prevents that from happening in that case.

For you, with a 144hz monitor and G-sync, you do not have to worry about anything but preventing 144 FPS. You might need to go a bit lower than 144 FPS to prevent the latency issue. Given that the games internal clock doesn't like 144 FPS, just go to what ever cap is needed to prevent that bug. G-sync prevents tearing, so you don't have to worry about divisibles.

As far as the mouse goes, I don't have the game to know what its like.

Sep 17, 2015
Bystander, thanks for taking the time to respond. This issue is specific to Fallout 4 so maybe you're not aware, but the game does not work for anyone so far at 110FPS or higher. There is a glitch where if you go into a terminal in the game, when you exit, you can't move and half your char's body is gone and the game is basically crashed. So there are a lot of threads up already about fixes for this, and all of them involve turning down the FPS. I wanted to try 100 but the nvidia interpreter will only let me go to 75.

I saw one youtube video that says turning off hyperthreading could maybe help? Is that worth doing? I also saw a youtube video that had major stuttering, like the game freezing every few seconds for a sec, and said turning off the god rays (but you have to do it a specific way) would help. I've had go rays on medium and high but... I never had that major freezing kind of stuttering to begin with, in fact I edited the title of this thread because I'm learning what I probably have is called "juttering," either that or "micro-stuttering," so do I have to turn that off?

In terms of aliasing, you may not know specific help for Fallout 4, but do you know, in general, if it's good or bad to have multiple kinds of anti aliasing on at once? Because I have three different kinds on at once.

Also, how do I know if DirectX is on? And if I have g-sync, do I need v-sync on? i know fallout 4 comes with v-sync on, it uses it. What's the difference?

Lastly, right now, first time playing with mouse and keyboard, it is taking away from my enjoyment of the game. It's very difficult to control my character movements with only forward/back/left/right. I miss the 360 degree analog controller. There are also too many different keys to reach and memorize with vats, crouch, sprint, pip boy, back, etc etc, all these things that on controllers are usually the same buttons. So I wanted to ask, do you think I would be better off just PC gaming with a controller, or should I muscle through the discomfort because eventually mouse and keyboard will be much more fun?

I'm on windows 7, by the way.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
If you have G-sync, you want to learn how to turn that on and never use V-sync again. G-sync makes your monitor refresh when it finishes rendering a frame, so there is no latency and the refresh rate matches your FPS at all times. V-sync makes the GPU wait to display the frame, which can result in stuttering, as they will not match up unless you get enough FPS to match your refresh rate.

And Nvidia Inspector does have a limited selection of FPS caps. The makers of it seem to think the only reason to cap your FPS is to match your refresh rate, or be a couple below.

It's also normal to use a couple versions of AA, but any more is likely not worth it. Depending on which AA methods you use, 1 is plenty, but sometimes people will mix a post process version with MSAA.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
You might try using MSI Afterburner/EVGA PrecisionX/Rivatuner to limit your FPS. While these no longer work with V-sync, they may work with G-sync.

Sep 17, 2015
If you have G-sync, you want to learn how to turn that on and never use V-sync again. G-sync makes your monitor refresh when it finishes rendering a frame, so there is no latency and the refresh rate matches your FPS at all times. V-sync makes the GPU wait to display the frame, which can result in stuttering, as they will not match up unless you get enough FPS to match your refresh rate.

And Nvidia Inspector does have a limited selection of FPS caps. The makers of it seem to think the only reason to cap your FPS is to match your refresh rate, or be a couple below.

It's also normal to use a couple versions of AA, but any more is likely not worth it. Depending on which AA methods you use, 1 is plenty, but sometimes people will mix a post process version with MSAA.

According to the nvidia control panel, both g-sync and v-sync are on.

Fallout 4's in game preferences allow you to choose between FXAA and THA or whatever aliasing, saying that THA is the highest quality one. You can only pick one. Then in the nvidia control panel, you can turn on FXAA also. Then in the nvidia interpreter, you can turn on MSAA.

Can you advise which combo of these to use?

I could use FXAA in the Fallout 4 preferences, and then MSAA in the interpreter. Or the THA one or whatever its called in the Fallout 4 preferences, and FXAA in the nvidia control panel. Or THA in the Fallout 4 prefences, and MSAA in the nvidia interpreter.

Most importantly, is it worth switching fron nvidia interpreter to the Riva one? Or Sapphire Trixx or something I also heard of? And if I do download one of those, how do I disable nvidia interpreter which I already have? Just uninstall it or what?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I don't know what THA is. It's likely either a hybrid or post process AA that they recently created. Some people like mixing MSAA with FXAA, but I doubt you'd want to do that with THA without knowing what it is. When in doubt, test it.

That is not Nvidia Interpreter, but Inspector. You don't have to uninstall it, as all it does it change the properties in the Nvidia drivers. Just reset the game settings to default, then use which ever one you want. It may not work, but it is worth trying.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks yeah you're right, inspector. What do you mean it may not work? Resetting it may not work?

Using those other programs may or may not work with G-sync. Like I said before, they don't work with V-sync. Basically, they do nothing if you turn on V-sync.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I ran into some of the same stuff. I didn't have G-Sync enabled, but was using lightboost. First thing I did was turn off V-sync in the drivers. Then after the other issues related to the frame rate I turned off mouse acceleration, uncapped the frame rate in Fallout's ini, and finally capped my video cards max frame rate to 120Hz.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I didn't think of that, but you do have the option to simply change your refresh rate to 100hz with v-sync of g-sync and that effectively caps you at 100 FPS.

Sep 17, 2015
I didn't think of that, but you do have the option to simply change your refresh rate to 100hz with v-sync of g-sync and that effectively caps you at 100 FPS.

When I do this, it changes the color of my screen.

Childs, what's the difference between changing the monitor refresh rate in windows control panel vs doing it to the graphics card? And where exactly did you edit the drivers and and the graphics card? I'm not sure how to access either of those. Where do you cap the video card? Do you mean in programs like nvidia interpreter?

I downloaded MSI Afterburner and watched a how to video where you add the frame rate setting to "on screen display," then go to rivertuner, and type in the peak frame rate there. However, rivertuner seems to only be for windows xp? I downloaded it but it won't open for me. Will it work just as well if I type in the max frame rate in the MSI Afterburner itself?

Also, I've been trying to uninstall or delete Rivertuner, but every time I go to my programs and find the folder, it says I can't delete it because the folder it's in is open. When I go into the rivertuner folder itself and click uninstall, it says uninstall failed because the program is running, even though the program isn't running, it's just the folder that is open. Then I tried dragging the folder to the desktop to try deleting it there, and it said "copying files" but now when I look on my desktop, it doesn't show up there like on mac.

Where can I find the copy I made and delete that so I don't have duplicates? And then how can I uninstall or delete the original?

Oh and when you say v-sync won't work with nvdiai interpreter doesn't work with v-sync, does that mean so long as you have nvidia interpreter on your computer, v-sync won't work, or does it just mean you can't set v-sync there? Because I can still go to my nvidia control panel, or in many games I assume the game itself, and turn v-sync on there. And then when you go back into nvidia interpreter, v-sync is turned "on" automatically because you turned it on elsewhere.

Does that work or...? And if not, and I still want to use v-sync, how do I get v-sync to override nvidia interpreter, not the other way around, short of deleting it from my computer?

I know it's a lot of questions but please help with as many as you can because they all play of each other and if I can't find the answer to even just one of them, it means I won't know how to do any of it correctly.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
When I do this, it changes the color of my screen.

Childs, what's the difference between changing the monitor refresh rate in windows control panel vs doing it to the graphics card? And where exactly did you edit the drivers and and the graphics card? I'm not sure how to access either of those. Where do you cap the video card? Do you mean in programs like nvidia interpreter?

I dont change the monitor refresh rate, I just left it as is. My setup is a little different because I use an app to trick windows so I can use lightboost (I think it tells the OS its a 120Hz monitor with 3d glasses attached). I don't think that matters. To cap your frame rate, you can use Nvidia Inspector, Afterburner, Precision, etc. In Nvidia Inspector, click in the Driver Profile Settings icon. A window will pop up, and go to Common, and change the frame rate for Frame Rate Limiter. I set it to match my monitor's refresh rate. A lot of people set it a few frames below that, and I tried it all the way from 75Hz to 120Hz and it was fine, so I left it at 120Hz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH9D__g1yqs

Oh and when you say v-sync won't work with nvdiai interpreter doesn't work with v-sync, does that mean so long as you have nvidia interpreter on your computer, v-sync won't work, or does it just mean you can't set v-sync there? Because I can still go to my nvidia control panel, or in many games I assume the game itself, and turn v-sync on there. And then when you go back into nvidia interpreter, v-sync is turned "on" automatically because you turned it on elsewhere.

I turned off v-sync because it was the first thing I did to get Fallout 4 to stop capping the frame rate at 60. It was just easier to do it in Nvidia Control Panel. Click on Desktop, right click, select Nvidia Control Panel, click on Manage 3D Settings, and change Vertical Sync from Application Controlled to Off.

NV_Vsync_Options.png

You can probably also do it in Nvidia Inspector, but just keep it simple and use that tool to do what you cannot easily do using Nvidia Control Panel. Nvidia Inspector is just showing you more information, and allowing you do things that aren't exposed in Nvidia Control Panel.

Does that work or...? And if not, and I still want to use v-sync, how do I get v-sync to override nvidia interpreter, not the other way around, short of deleting it from my computer?

If you want it just for Fallout, instead of changing it globally (Global Settings tab), click on the Program Settings tab, select Fallout 4, and change it there. Vsync should just be disabled for Fallout 4.

All the other stuff is done in Fallout's ini.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I was having problems with frame rate causing people to speak too fast (also start next sentence before ending first one) as well as I was getting stuck at terminals.

Here's the configurator mod from Nexusmod. I highly recommend everyone use it.

Using the 'framerate lock' option fixed all my problems.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?