Getting BOINC and AMD GPU Compute (MW@Home) running on Linux Mint 17.3 beta 64-bit?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Having a little trouble here. Is there some secret sauce to getting GPUs to crunch in Linux? I just installed the newest 15.x AMD Linux Proprietary Drivers.

Edit: Hmm. According to
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing#Check_whether_your_computer_has_a_capable_GPU
ATI GPUs: you need a platform based on the AMD R600 or AMD R700 GPU or later. R600 GPUs are found on ATI Radeon HD2400, HD2600, HD2900 and HD3800 graphics board. R700 GPUs are found on HD4350 to HD4890 graphics boards. Check ATI's list of OpenCL-enabled products to see which GPUs use OpenCL.

I'm hoping that's just out of date, but if it isn't... does that mean that you cannot crunch on GPUs with newer AMD cards in Linux???

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I have run Mint with Kepler and Fermi GPUs but was never successful with my Hawaii cards, or for that matter with the Maxwell cards. I liked Mint very much and might still be using it if driver installation were easier.
Of course ATI and Nvidia contributed to the frustration factor.
Like Tony I also went back to Windows.

You didn't say which card you were concerned with.

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
The Linux drivers for your card should be here:

Linux drivers

You will have to dig out the installation procedure. This is an earlier card than mine and may install just fine.

Sorry I can't be more help but the only card I have experience with is the Hawaii R9 290 and I was not successful then.

Mint is based on Ubuntu so one of those may work and failing that you could try the Linux.

Last edited: