Getting back into digital photography again. Need some camera suggestions.

XX55XX

Mar 1, 2010
I have a Canon Powershot SD750 (old camera, I know). I haven't shot a single picture on that thing in many months - last time it got a good workout was during last year's PAX East (and I haven't even gotten the photos out of there yet).

I am hardly the best photographer - I know the lingo (focal length, aperture, ISO), but I wouldn't even call myself an amateur photographer - I am just another consumer who seeks to capture mundane moments of life that few others will care about.

At any rate, I am planning to get back into digital photography again after a long hiatus. But, of course, I will need a new camera. I was never really satisfied by my SD750, primarily due to its bad low-light performance. I do a ton of indoor shots, and not even heavy editing through Lightroom can cancel out all of that noise. I am planning to sell it and replace it with a compact that has better low light performance.

Right now, I have two choices that are within my budget: The Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS ($166 on Amazon), or the Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS ($250). The 110 HS has yet to be released, but I can pre-order one and get it on my doorstep by the time Anime Boston arrives.

But, I am open to any other suggestions that cost less than $300.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Right now, I have two choices that are within my budget: The Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS ($166 on Amazon), or the Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS ($250). The 110 HS has yet to be released, but I can pre-order one and get it on my doorstep by the time Anime Boston arrives.

The 300 HS is a good camera for the price; I'd go with that if not reaching higher -- e.g. for a close-out priced S95 (at around $300 or less).