Getting a Yorkshire Terrier, need tips!!!

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
Getting this dog free from a friend this weekend.

What type food do I need to feed it?

I've never had a dog since I was two... I love to spoil other dogs, so I'm sure I'll love this one.

Apparently this dog just loves attention and constant petting as a "lapdog".

Any owners or people who know chime in :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We h ave a 1/2 yorkie-1/2 teacup chihuahua...about 5.5 lbs.

GREAT little dogs, but tend to be pretty bad attention whores...and aggressive as hell for their size. (that's the terrier in them)

Food...to start with, stick with whatever the previous owners have been feeding it.

Sudden changes in diet can trigger diarrhea...then, if it's a crappy brand of food, switch to IAMS or Science Diet...good quality, low fat foods.

DO NOT feed the dog people food, especially fatty foods.

These little dogs are highly susceptible to pancreatitis...which can be fatal...quickly.

Because of their tiny size, Yorkies are pretty delicate dogs, and broken bones from being stepped on is one of the most common injuries.

Our little fella loves to sleep in bed with us...UNDER the fcking covers...and has gotten rolled on a couple of times...it's a miracle I haven't killed him that way.

Yorkies, because they have little to no undercoat, tend to get cold easy...and need coats, sweaters, etc...get used to dressing the dog like a fcking doll...

Otherwise, they're smart little dogs...quick to bark at intruders of any kind, other people, birds, cats...ours will NOT leave our 11 year old cats alone...and gets his ass kicked all the time, yet comes back for more.

Definitely lap dogs...but great little companions.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Its a terrier so in about a week you will want a gun :). Really don't like terreirs. YAP YAP YAP CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY YAP YAP YAP JUMP JUMP JUMP YAP YAP YAP CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY

So why are they giving it away for free again?

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
Being given away for free because the kid's mom just got married and she is moving to Florida. The kid is going to college and can't have the dog. Nobody wants it now...

this is where I step in

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Electric collar that jolt's him when he barks is a must have....

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Originally posted by: JoPh
my old dog.

he has since passed away.

:'( ...

Yorkies are the best! My family had one growing up. After he passed we got 2 more. They lived for 15+, 13 and 15+ years!

I have one that is turning 7 soon.

Dogs all have different personalities ... basically play with it and treat it well and you won't be disappointed ...

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: KMFJD

my parents have one and my dad just *loves* to bug the shit out of him and make the little bastard bark. i cant decide which one of them is more annoying

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Your dog would fit in my dog's head :laugh:

Originally posted by: KMFJD

I hope someone wires you up to a car battery and shocks you every time you speak.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Great pets. We had one for 15 years. Basically, if he's housebroken, that's most of the battle. Some are picky eaters, ours sure was, so stick with what the owner was giving him if he already eats it. Also, they never forget when bad things happen, which can lead to a pretty paranoid dog in some situations (usually stupid ones). Ours wouldn't eat out of a bowl because when she was a puppy, she had a collar on with a tag, and it was clinking against the bowl and freaking her out. She would eat out of a bowl after that, but she would lean over to just get her snout in just to make sure it wouldn't clang (even though she didnt wear tags anymore). It was actually really funny, but I would feel bad and just put her food on a plate.

Really cute, though. If you walk him, expect to meet girls.