Getting a DSLR, anyone have a Sony Alpha?

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Thinking about getting a DSLR to upgrade my POS Canon S2, and have been thinking about a Sony Alpha. I have some Sigma lenses from when I had a Minolta 35mm and the Alpha would be a perfect fit for it.
Anyone have one and do you like it? Could you post some sample pics?

George Powell

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
I've had one for a while now.

I find it to be very good.

Have you had a look at dpreview, the photos they take in reviews are done under standardised conditions which make it easy to compare cameras.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Cool. I was just at Wolf Camera in the mall, and the sales-lady there (who was pretty bitchy) said that while I could use my Sigma lens, they wouldn't autofocus. Is that the case?

chazzzer

Nov 1, 2005
If the Sigmas auto-focused on your Minolta, they'll auto-focus on the Sony Alpha...it's essentially just a newer model of the Maxxum 5D/7D.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: chazzzer
If the Sigmas auto-focused on your Minolta, they'll auto-focus on the Sony Alpha...it's essentially just a newer model of the Maxxum 5D/7D.
Yes and no.

Some older Sigma lenses need to be re-chipped to work with the A100. Most will work just fine, but a few of the older Sigma lenses will not work with the A100.

In practical terms, it's not a big worry since it's quite rare to be stuck with one of the Sigmas that don't work well with the A100, but it is a possibility.

I have been incredibly happy with my Alpha, it's a solid performer, and the steady shot really does help. For some examples of images, you can browse my flickr account.

ZV

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
thanks for the replies! And nice pics Zenmervolt. I think I'm going to get the Alpha then.

I guess the only other choice is should I get it from BH PhotoVideo or Amazon? Both are within 3 bucks after S&H so it's pretty much a toss up.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
My only experience thus far with the Alpha hasn't been the greatest... I am very big on ergonomics and found the Sony to be fairly uncomfortable to hold, even for a short amount of time. I found the shutter button to be a reach compared to what i'm used to and just couldnt find a good comfortable place to grip.

I don't own one so my experience has only been from in store demos, but its my impression FWIW.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex
My only experience thus far with the Alpha hasn't been the greatest... I am very big on ergonomics and found the Sony to be fairly uncomfortable to hold, even for a short amount of time. I found the shutter button to be a reach compared to what i'm used to and just couldnt find a good comfortable place to grip.

I don't own one so my experience has only been from in store demos, but its my impression FWIW.

I was afraid of that too, which is why I held one first. I actually think it feels comfortable in my hands, much more so than the D40x I compared it to. The D40 felt a little too light and small in my hands. The Alpha felt more solid than the D40. I didn't really look at the Canon XTi since it would be out of my price range.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

I had the opposite experience, the A100 fit me perfectly, everything just fell right under my fingertips.

It does emphasise the importance of handling a camera before buying. I've always said that the best camera is the one that feels best in your hands. A camera that a person doesn't like to use isn't worth anything. I was figuring that the OP had already handled the cameras. That said, I also have a Maxxum 7 and if he already liked the Minolta cameras he had then the A100 will fit him quite well.

ZV

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AmigaMan

I was afraid of that too, which is why I held one first. I actually think it feels comfortable in my hands, much more so than the D40x I compared it to. The D40 felt a little too light and small in my hands. The Alpha felt more solid than the D40. I didn't really look at the Canon XTi since it would be out of my price range.

Haven't held the D40 yet, but the XT and XTi are too small for my hands. Very uncomfortable for me.

My favorite, and subsequently the one I bought was the D80.

But as others have said, everyone is different. :)

Whatever you get, i'm sure it will take gorgeous pics, all DSLR's are excellent compared to PnS's.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: AmigaMan

Haven't held the D40 yet, but the XT and XTi are too small for my hands. Very uncomfortable for me.

My favorite, and subsequently the one I bought was the D80.

But as others have said, everyone is different. :)

Whatever you get, i'm sure it will take gorgeous pics, all DSLR's are excellent compared to PnS's.

Wish I could get the D80, but since my Canon S2 broke, I kinda need to buy something now rather than wait and save up. I really liked the D40 since it would have been more DSLR than I would have used, but it seems the Alpha brings more to the table for my money. Especially considering I have lenses it can use.